We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speaking/French speaking

Chatham, Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
English speaking/French speaking

Can anyone who's stayed tell me if there a majority of french speaking people at Playa Blanca? Looking to possibly go there Mid Feb, family of 4. Love Cuba :) And an honest difference in quality vs Sol Pelicano Thanks :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English speaking/French speaking

I think you will find a lot of French speakers at all the non-Italian resorts on CL, simply because it's a 4-hour nonstop flight from Montreal and it's a relatively well-known destination for us. My impression of Playa Blanca was that French was indeed the language I overheard most often. But you will still find plenty of English speakers, and you can expect a good number of the francophones to be fluent in English too.

Chatham, Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English speaking/French speaking

Thank you for your response, that sounds great, especially as our daughters are both in a French program through school/university. Do you have an opinion on Sol Pelicano vs Playa Blanca.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English speaking/French speaking

No, sorry, I stayed at the Marinera so used the amenities at Playa Blanca and didn't see the Pelicano at all. But there are folks around here who've stayed at both (and others besides)... suggest a forum search, and if that doesn't help post a new thread with a subject line on that specific topic.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: English speaking/French speaking

you should check tripadvisor

on my concern 3 years ago we try playa blanca and didnt liked at all either the beach food room exept the workers are very nice but the hotel was let down even the pool we changed to pelicano and it was like night and day great beach pool food ect..they have a lot of french people from quebec and also italien sol pelicano you will not regret

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English speaking/French speaking

you can't go wrong with either resort. Food was much better at the Pelicano

Chatham, Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English speaking/French speaking

Appreciate thoughts expressed...may come down to $$$ but working on it :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English speaking/French speaking

My visit to Playa Blanca was the first two weeks in December and would guestimate 75% of the guests were from la belle province, absolutely great people, even if you screw up the language with your high school French no problem. Some I had met and became Skype and face book friends with in previous visits to Cayo Largo at Gran Club Coral, a neighboring resort now unavailable to Canadians. French Canadians love the beach and as always my observation they have the best tans.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English speaking/French speaking

There is allot of French speaking people, but most of them are pretty friendly and will speak English.

Have stayed at both hotels and would recommend the Pelicano, because the beach in front of the hotel tends to be better and your Daughters will enjoy the very active animation crew.

I also liked that the Pelicano has a mini disco in the lobby area, after the evening show, so you can dance your heart out and later on go with the animation crew to the Marina for more dancing. Staff at both hotels are great, but we found the Staff at the Pelicano to be more service orientated and not as obsessed with getting tips. Now nothing is written in stone, things do change and who is Managing the hotel during your stay, can make the world of difference. Please note too that the Pelicano is 49% foreign owned, while Playa Blanca is 100% Cuban owned, it has been my observation and experience that the food and supplies tend to be better when the foreign chains have influence.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English speaking/French speaking

"French Canadians love the beach and as always my observation they have the best tans." --- and are the ones that are smoking in the pools. lol

"it has been my observation and experience that the food and supplies tend to be better when the foreign chains have influence." --- absolutely.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: English speaking/French speaking

The penny has finally dropped as to why all those other tourists didn't seem to understand my Italian when we were last in Cayo Largo.