We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Photos?

Ottawa_ON
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Photos?

Any recent photos of the beach in front of PB?

Makes no difference, going anyway, just curious...

Thanks

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Photos?

I just returned from the Sol a few days ago, and while I was there i walked to Playa Blanca. The beach in front of the hotel there is almost non existant at the moment. I was happy that i opted for the Sol, as i was originally supposed to book the playa blanca. I will look through my pics tomorrow, as i recall taking some .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Photos?

We were at Playa Blanca March 16 - 21, and as stated, the beach directly in front was non existent. It was impossible to walk east past the point, unless you went up an over the rocks. Even east of the bar was fairly poor and narrow with waves washing up to the rock. West of the bar the beach got better.

-Stephen

Ottawa_ON
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Photos?

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. Anything recent? I know it doesn't matter, but it's killing me.

Dan

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
800 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Photos?

Was staying at the Pelicano up to mid-April. For the two weeks we were there, all the beaches were in fantastic condition, very wide, the best I have ever seen them. Except for in front of the Playa Blanca. Still nada. Stayed there April 2011 and the beach was excellent, but that was the last time there was any to speak of.

People will tell you that the Playa Blanca beach is excellent, but they mean farther west towards the ruins, where the Playa Blanca has "moved" their beach.. It *is* excellent most of the time, and the resort has built a walkway to it from the new chalet area. However, it is not serviced in the same way the beach in front of the rancheron was. That is there are no washrooms nearby, and I understand the small beach bar does not have beer.

From observing Cayo Largo beaches moving around for several years now, I feel that the beach may well come back to front of the Playa Blanca at some point, but not soon. I like the resort, had a great stay there, and It would be great if they invested in a proper bar with washrooms down on the Caprichio beach.

Cheers,

Bruce

Ottawa_ON
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Photos?

June 9-16 / Playa Blanca

Tough week for the beach. Wasn't any to speak of to east, but the west looked good at the beginning of the week. Humongous storm on Sunday night didn't do it any favors. (Took out the BBQ hut, the Returning Visitors hut and some trees)

We did however enjoy the hell out of it for the first 6 days. :)

I will see if I can find a picture later.

Montreal
Level Contributor
254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Photos?

I've never stayed at Playa Blanca, but I've walked past it and I've never seen much of a beach in the 10 years I've been going to Cayo Largo. I'm curious as to what the draw is that makes it so popular.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Photos?

The beach was nice when the resort was being planned and built. A hurricane in 1998 (Mitch, I believe) and Hurricane Michelle in 2001 both did extensive damages to the area (especiall Michelle).

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Photos?

@ Janet R:

Its really cheap?

RWS

Montreal
Level Contributor
254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Photos?

Oh ok. I didn't know. I suppose that could be incentive

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
800 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Photos?

It tends to be the least expensive of the three we can book, but not by enough to sway us since the beach is our #1 priority. But it is a nice resort otherwise, great staff, nice rooms, good food and drink. It has a good lively pool scene if thats your thing.

Lots of people really love it.

When I was there Russ Jackson was telling football stories at the bar, but I don't think you can count on that all the time :)

Cheers,

Bruce

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo