We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

I think the free train leaves the hotel ( Sol Cayo Largo ) 3 times a day and is unreliable as far as times go. How long is that bumpy ride? Is it uncomfortable? Is it advisable to rent a scooter to save time and perhaps a better ride on the sandy road ? Last question........ how long would it take on a scooter to get to Paraiso......... then onwards to Sirena ?

Thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

We rented a jeep, It was loads of fun!!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Owned motorcycles for many years. I've done the scooter run to the big beaches a few times. Not pleasant or safe.

A Jeep is a fun and bumpy ride. This year we packed 6 adults and all our gear for the run to Paraiso. Good thing we were all friends.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Does anybody else have some more info to add ????

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

I haven't been to Cayo Largo lately, so my information isn't current, but the little trains used to be reasonably reliable and not a bad option. People who want to get there more quickly and in comfort used to take a taxi, which wasn't particularly expensive either. Scooters can be dicey in the sand, as mentioned. I would guess depending on which hotel you are coming from, perhaps 20 - 30 minutes? Or you could walk via the beach, but that takes just a bit longer......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Thanks for that eeeefarm. I did some digging and it appears the train ride is about 30min. from the Sol Cayo Largo. Not sure if that's to Pariso + more time to Sirena. Does a taxi take the same sandy dirt road as the train ??? I think renting a jeep is a pricey option to do what a taxi can do for a lot less. I have read that if the conditions of the dirt road is bad and is closed, taxi's take people to the marina and they then get transfered by boat to Sirena. Once again I cannot find out if there is a cost associated with the taxi and or the boat if the dirt road is closed ?

ps: I am in relativley good shape, but no way am I going to walk all that way with my gear for the day !

Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Paraiso and Sirena are very close, so it's just another couple of minutes past the drop off at Paraiso. I think taxis may be charging 3 CUC/person, although I think it used to be less. Probably 6 CUC if you are the only one taking the cab. They won't go when the road is bad, but you can catch one to the marina, as you mention, or there may be a bus going into town as well. You are likely going to pay a minimal fee for either taxi or bus.

I generally walk the beach one way and take the train the other, at least once and sometimes several times depending on my mood and the weather. I bring a backpack with my snorkel gear, and sometimes stop to check out the snorkelling en route. (and yes, on a hot day carrying my gear it can sometimes end up feeling like a forced march!) ;-)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

When the trains aren't running, there are free shuttles to the marina to catch a catamaran and a free bus back to your hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Thanks for the info..............free shuttles to the marina, does the boat ride cost a small fee ?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

The boat ride is free with your hotel stay.

Takes you straight to the dock beside the dolphin pen at the restaurant on Sirena.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Playa Sirena & Paraiso

Took a taxi to Paraiso from Playa Blanca. That beach road is the exception to the island-wide 2 CUC/person taxi fare; they will want 4 CUC/person but might do it for a little less. I think we paid 10 for three people, one-way, and took the boat back from Sirena.

The taxi is a good option if you don't want to rely on the boat service, which only makes the run three times a day each way (as of January, this could have changed). If you want to take a taxi back, I think they will call one from the restaurant at Playa Sirena. Or if you happen to be ready to return when someone else has just arrived by taxi, the driver will be happy to have a fare for the return trip.