We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

South Africa
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

We will be travelling from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring for the 2013 Grand Prix in July. Is it best to rent a car, or will we be able to make use of public transport? If the public transport to Nuerburg is not possible, will we be able to take public transport from Frankfurt to the nearest big town to Nuerburg, and rent a car there? What will this town be called, and how far from Nuerburg is it?

Thank you.

Rene

8 replies to this topic
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

In theory, Nürburgring can be reached by a combination of trains and buses, but this would take the better part of a day. It would probably be best to rent a car in Frankfurt (about 150 km from Nürburg) or maybe Koblenz (about 60 km from Nürburg).

South Africa
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

Thank you for the reply. I think this will be the better option. Do you perhaps know, we have a few days after the grand prix, and would like to travel around and see some places, as we will be flying from Frankfurt again. Any suggestions on what to see and where to stay over on route to Frankfurt or surrounding Nuerburg?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

The landcape around Nürburgring, the Eifel, is very nice with extinct vulcanoes and little lakes. It is also close to the valleys of the Mosel, the Rhine and the Ahr. The whole region is popular with holidaymakers from Germany and the Benelux countries, and you could easily spend a few days there.

On the route to Frankfurt there is the Middle Rhine Valley. If you are more interested in cities, Cologne, Bonn, Aachen, Trier, Luxembourg, Koblenz and Mainz come to my mind.

South Africa
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

Thank you, the information helps a lot with the planning! We are also looking for accommodation during the Nuerbergring grand prix, but the accommodation in Nuerburg seems quite full and expensive. Any suggestions where we can stay in nearby towns, and will transport and traffic be a problem if we travel to the Ring every day.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

See if you can get into Adenau right next to the track which is THE town to be for the races. Nürburg itself is insignificant and most accommodation shown as such would be in the surrounding villages and small hamlets.

When you are done head down to Cochem picture perfect small town on the Mosel river (or any of the neighbouring villages ) Problem, its high season coupled with the races. Remember the race track is up there on the Eifel mountain range and any driving around the area is a continuous roller coaster with curves bends and lots of traffic during this time.

This is pretty country side and we day trip from here. As a matter of fact it has been snowing the past couple of days and I am waiting for a sunny day to go and get some photos,

South Africa
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

I have been struggling with finding accommodation for the Nurburgring grand prix. Everything seems very full. I have tried the area of Adenau, with no luck yet. Any suggestions on other places I can search? I see there is quite a lot of accommodation available in Cochem, but I am not to sure how far that is from The Ring, and what the road is like if we have to travel there everyday? Is it a big town? Any suggestions welcome please.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

we stayed near cochem for the 2011 gp, in a small village called klodden about 3 miles down river on the mosel, the drive to the ring was quick and there were no probs, about 40 mins from memory

the nice thing was that the mosel was a world away from the ring

stayed 5 nights and had a self contained unit which was part of a hotel

pm me if you need further details

we flew into frankfurt but on the wed before the gp drove down to speyer musuem and then up to klodden

South Africa
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring

@Boutye thank you for the information, it really helps. Will search for accommodation in this area today.

Regards.

Reply to: Travel from Frankfurt to Nuerburgring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted