We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Saint Paul...
1 post
Save Topic
Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

We are thinking about staying at Aquatika in Loiza. Old posts here at Trip Advisor and other locations say the area is not safe. What's the latest info?

22 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Last time I went, I saw no significant improvements not only on safety, but generaly the infrastructure needs great deal of works around town (downtown, and east). There was some construction after town, a new road, a small business building, but because the town never was a priority to the goverment and has no vission for this town, it makes Loiza less attractive compared to Isla Verde. Police resources are within the touristic areas, and Loiza is not in the turistic zone.

Pinones(West of Loiza)is the best part of Loiza. Is very popular among locals and some tourist alike who love the local food friters, and it has a strong African roots. Is my favored place to get some local food and chill. Much safer since is closer to Isla Verde, and has much more visitors. It's ok during the day, but night driving can be a trickie one since some areas are not well lit. The boardwalk is also safe during the day. There are few places for souvenier shopping.

Most likely you are attracted to their sweet deal to stay in their property. The property, IMO is not in the right place.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

As mentioned by boricua-one, Loiza is not a touristic destination, Aquatika is beautifull, but Loiza is not a safe area. I have been to Aquatika on weekends, where it is very full with locals, but I bet that in weekdays it is desserted. Just because of its location in Loiza I would not recomend you thsi place, I would choose a more touristic destination. In San Juan you can consider Isla Verde, Condado or Old San Juan. On the east side you can consider Rio Grande, Luquillo or Fajardo. Hope this helps.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Agree with both posts.....however atleast do a Day drive, & eat in Pinones(West of Loiza). This is part of our Island/History. Do Not be scared to explore All sections/regions of Puerto Rico. This is why we do not have AI'S. Drive around, use commonn sence.....Have FUN!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

So I am consider this area for Christmas 2011. We have been to PR three times now but this area is new to me. I read all the comments of it not being safe and it being poor but does poor equal unsafe? Anyone been there recently that can comment. Thanks...Donna

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

It is not the poorness of the people that makes it unsafe, it is the bad people. There are many wonderful people that live in Loiza. But there is also an element there that you don't want to have to worry about while on vacation. Here is the scoop-There is a really notorious drug gang in Loiza that is very violent.

To answer the question: Is Loiza safe now? No.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Thanks....I appreciate your candor...so we will keep looking. Donna

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Just like in the United States, you have the "haves", and the "have nots". Loiza, with the strongest African roots does not have the same resources San Juan always gets. Police is much more noticeable in the touristy areas, so the priorities goes to San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde(Is Carolina but is in a tourist zone). That leaves Loiza with little resources. The same goes with Guaynabo, and Bayamon, they get more than Canovanas. If you take the state police, or some of the municipal guard for sure San Juan won't be the same. There are some bad people in San Juan, is just police are there, so where "good" guys go? Limited resources won't help Loiza to be known a touristy area. At least Pinones should get some funding, and better management. Sometimes I wonder why some developers do built places like Aquatika hoping local goverment support to rebuilt Loiza. It's good to see some developers doing some projects in Loiza, but building in the wrong place won't place Loiza in the tourist zone.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

How about Ocean Park? I'm waiting to hear back from several rental properties and a couple are listed in Ocean Park. I have stayed in Isle Verde and Fajardo in the past so I am looking fro something different. Donna

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

Zubsin.... Since Ocean Park has nothing to do with Loiza, you should start a new thread with this new question.

Send me a PM if you want.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?

sorry I'll look in another forum.

Reply to: Is Loiza safe now in 2011?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loiza
Recent Conversations