We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical facilities

wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
medical facilities

Where are the nearest medical facilities and hospitals. Do they use 911

8 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical facilities

It depends on where you are and what you are looking for. PR is not a 3rd world country. It's part of the US. San Juan is over a million people. There are several hospitals, one Rio Padres is a teaching hospital. They are as good as anything back in the states, level 1 trama centers and transplants. There are also local clinics. 911 is used in most of the US including PR. Check to see if your insurances covers you. My Aetna insurance lists Rio Padres as an in network hospital. If something serious happens to you on one of the other islands, they will try and get you up to PR for health care.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical facilities

We are staying in Loiza and just wanted to know where the closest ER and Medical Clinics would be

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medical facilities

http://www.presbypr.com/eng/localizacion.html

Mayaguez, Puerto...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medical facilities

Hi. For emergency care there's also the Center for Diagnosis and Treatment of Loiza.

Address: Carrt. 188 Km5 Hm 6 Int. 187, Loiza , PR - 00772

Phone: 787-876-2245

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medical facilities

She is asking for Loiza, it is not San Juan and suggesting Rio Piedras is a long way to travel for a medical emergency, it is not the neareast medical facility at all. The nearest emergency clinic is in the center of Loiza

Centro de Diagnóstico y Tratamiento de Loiza (CDT)

and the address is Carretera 188 Intersección 187

787-876-2042

the nearest full hospital is in Carolina

Hospital UPR Carolina

next to the mall Plaza Carolina

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical facilities

Excuse me CoquiPR. No one suggested going to Rio Padres. Suggest you read the post again. I said it was a teaching hospital and it was listed by Aetna. Trying to show that there are good hospitals in PR. If you want to disagree with that, go right ahead.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medical facilities

The University Hospital is in Carolina, on highway # 3. In an emergency, you might also check HIMA San Pablo del Este (404 General Valero Ave, Fajardo or Hospital Dr. Gubern (261 General Valero Ave,, Fajardo)

The Diagnostic Center in Loiza does not handle major emergencies by itself, since the service they provide is quite limited. Patients are stabilized and either sent to the Carolina Universiity Medical Hospital or to the Centro Medico in Rio Piedras.

The 911 telephone number works in PR.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medical facilities

I kindly agree with Bod as far as hospital personnel are well trained. Local doctors are very competent as well. What's not competent is the services at times, very long, longer than a county hospital. Some nurses don't speak good English. I know doctors do speak english well. Bob also is correct with some private insurance coverage includes Puerto Rico. BTW I used AETNA and is a decent health insurance. Don't expect Emory's level of competency, but rest assure, medical personnel are well trained and you will get professional treatment.

Reply to: medical facilities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loiza
Recent Conversations