We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Mar

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Mar

Has anyone stayed at the Costa Mar condos in Loiza? Should we be concerned?

8 replies to this topic
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Mar

I cannot comment specifically on Costa Mar, Loiza is an area in PR with real crime problems.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Mar

I would not feel comfortable staying in Loiza. A Friend of mine use to live there, he told me that you can hear gunshots frequently at night

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Mar

I have not been to Costa Mar, but my brother owns a condo nearby and we've never had any problems there. Judging from previous posts, the poster has been in PR multiple times, so they know what to expect. If it was a first time visitor, I would recommend against staying there, but for them, it will be ok. Just have the same common sense you would in Detroit.

Loiza is a good base camp for traveling to Pinones and Luquillo, which are well known to the poster. The Walmart and the outlets are nearby as well.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Mar

I have not been to Costa Mar, but my brother owns a condo nearby and we've never had any problems there. Judging from previous posts, the poster has been in PR multiple times, so they know what to expect. If it was a first time visitor, I would recommend against staying there, but for them, it will be ok. Just have the same common sense you would in Detroit.

Loiza is a good base camp for traveling to Pinones and Luquillo, which are well known to the poster. The Walmart and the outlets are nearby as well.

They do a reenactment of the crucifixion on Easter on the main road, so expect some traffic.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Mar

The following thread discusses our opinions on Loiza:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g775322-i14423-k41…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Mar

I have not been to Costamar but have stayed nearby at Aquatika. You need a car. As far a safety goes, we have stayed three times and are going back this February. The complexes are gated and the neighboring town does not look great but I have been there with my wife and daughter and have never felt less than safe. I am certain there have been problems over the years. I am also certain there are problems everywhere. About 1 mile from the Aquatika condos is the St. Regis where the condos sell for $1mm plus.

NY
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Mar

jdr1210 please let me know how your stay is at Aquatika as I just booked there from june 27 to july 8 for family fun and to visit family

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Mar

We just got back from staying at the Costamar condos on Loiza and LOVED IT! Very quiet and a BEAUTIFUL beach. We were a group of five ladies so would I run around the town at night? Probably not, but found the people during the day very nice. We even had a young man who worked at the local grocery store show us where our condo was when we were lost. The location is fantastic in proximity to the rain forest, airport, or San Juan-within 30 mins. of all. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Reply to: Costa Mar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loiza
Recent Conversations