We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling Travellers Cheques

Which Tsilivi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sterling Travellers Cheques

Is there any problems changing Sterling travellers cheques in Tsilivi. Couple of years ago I had no problems other than our hotel wouldn't change them. Reason I ask is my daughter is currently in Kamari on Santorini and cannot change cheques in resort. She has tried all usual places hotels, travel agents etc and been told would have to travel to capital and use a bank. Is it now same in Tsilivi. Many thanks.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

You must be the last people on earth using travellers cheques, there are things that the travel agents and banks do now called cash cards!!! They are like credit cards but you put what you want on them and you can use them in 90% of establishments and you can draw cash out at the cash machines. The reason you can't cash your travellers cheques is that they are preastroric and know one uses them any more. Failing that just take cash and make sure you get good travel insurance!!!!!

Cullompton, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/05/is…

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Hi,

I go along with Stevoooooo,

Any place that will change them will give a poor rate of exchange and charge commission.

Bob

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

You'd be very hard pressed to find anyone who change them. This is due partly down to fraud, there were lots of forgeries knocking about. If you take them to the bank you may have to wait a week until they clear.

Currency cards are now the way forward TC do one but they charge you €2 on withdrawals, bit like changing travellers cheques. Caxton FX don't charge you for cash withdrawals however the minimum load is £150.

Or use your debit card if the fees are reasonable.

Barnsley, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Stevoooo

Travel Agents and Banks do things called Cash Cards !!!!!!!!!!!! and there are machines that give out cash !!!!!!!!! Wow . Never knew that . Probably its because as you say TC's are, I must be "Preastoric",

May i suggest if you don't actually have a relevant answer to a post you don't reply but if you do lay off the sarcasm.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to ianstu for actually posting a good and informative reply

6. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 23:35
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Ronaldo, I know it's too late now for your daughter, but in future, it would pay to take your Euros with you, and as long as your accommodation offers a safety deposit box, it's perfectly secure. We've done this now for the past 4 or 5 years. The pre-loaded cards are a relatively new concept and a pretty good idea, but there are charges associated with them plus some places just won't accept them, particularly if you are off the beaten track where it's cash or nothing. Few petrol stations accept them either ( or any form of card)

Many resorts are so busy that you may find that ATMs have run out of cash and often, it can be a day or two before they get filled up again, so again, taking your Euros with you eliminates this possibility and of course, you can buy them in the UK free of any charges or commission.

Swansea
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

I totally agree with you GB. We have been going since 2006 and have always taken Euros and used the safety deposit box. I some times my credit card to purchase meals and as I am with the Nationwide no charges are made for any purchases and no handling charges.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

I've always taken travellers cheques so I find these posts quite informative. Because of Ronaldo's post, I've now decided to take a pre-paid currency card and am just researching which is best to use.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Until I read this thread, I honestly didn't think you could still get traveler's cheques. Each to their own but I tend to just take couple of hundred euros in cash then withdraw whatever else I need from the cash machine with my normal debit card and I've never been charged any excessive fees for doing this. If you withdraw euros this way you tend to get the commercial exchange rate rather than the usual tourist rate, so you barely notice any fees your bank may apply for withdrawals. Of course if you make lots of withdrawals for small amounts charges will mount up, but I find it's fine for making a couple of larger withdrawals. As mentioned by Ianstu, currency cards often levy a 2 euro fee per withdrawal anyway (might as well use your debit card) and Caxton Fx have £150 minimum load.

Get answers to your questions about Tsilivi
Recent Conversations