We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire?

Fulham UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
car hire?

We are staying at the resort later in the year and I was considering getting a hire car for a couple of days to explore the island.

Just wondered if any body has done so?

My main concerns were over the car hire companies over there and what driving on the island is like.

Any observations or comments welcome.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire?

Hiring a car is by far the best way to see the island. There is a good choice from local suppliers and depending on when you go you may find a competitive deal on arrival. Driving is fine as long as you exercise caution as the roads can be a little bendy and the surfaces not as we are used to here but the views are spectacular! A simple rule we follow is take it slowly, if a queue builds up behind you just pull over when its safe to do so and let the locals go, causes less stress that way :) The roads are quite quiet but I suspect that changes a little during the peak time late July/August. We find two or three days is about right to see the sights and visit some different beaches.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire?

Kaz has summed it all up above.

Its definitely the best way to get around, driving is easy. The roads are a bit winding & narrow in places but still easy to negotiate, just relax & take it easy. The island is fairly small & easy to get round but it can take a bit longer than you'd think when you look at maps because the roads are narrow & average speeds are low.

Most of the local companies are very good & you'll get a better deal & better service from them than most of the multi-nationals. there's plenty to choose from, just have a walk around the resort & check prices etc. We always have a car delivered to the airport & have it for the entire holiday, because of that we pre-book ours on-line but if you only want it for a few days I'd wait till you're there. That way you won't be committed to particular days etc.

If you type car hire into the search box you'll find there's loads of info posted here.

York
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire?

Hi,

We hired a car for the first time last year. Wish we had done it sooner. We hired from Margaris at the Planos end and spoke to a guy called Pete who was great. He gave us hand drawn maps and told us the best routes to go after we gave him an idea on whether we wanted to go North or South. The journey north was good but not as easy as the journey south. We found some great beaches that you can only get to by car.

We will definitely hire one again when we return in Sept.

Fulham UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire?

Thanks for your comments.

Have booked on line.

Less than 2 weeks before I go so counting off the days.

5. Re: car hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tsilivi