We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Devon, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Has anyone stayed in this house since the last questions were asked some time ago?

There is not much deatail on the Simply Travel/Thompson website. No pictures of balcony or terrace - although they say there is one of each. Presumably no view (it doesn't say). No details of equipment in kitchen or whether there is a cd player or t.v. Or whether there is air conditioning.

If anyone has knowlege of this property I would be very grateful - even if they have just seen it from outside.

Many thanks to anyone who sees this.

44 replies to this topic
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Hi

I can only help with the outside I'm afraid.

We visit Assos at least once every year while staying in Fiscardo and take a walk round the village. We have passed the Architect's House many times and remarked on how nice it looks.

One year we spoke briefly to a couple who were sitting outside reading.

You are right in your assumtion about the view. Basically, as you enter Assos the road forks left and right with the roads meeting again at the harbour. The Architect's House is on the edge of the village on the right hand road. Opposite and to the side are fields so not an unpleasant outlook but not 'wow' either.

If you haven't already it might be worth sending a PM to catehampshire who posted previously to see if she did go (though I notice she written a number of reviews but not about this so chances are she didn't)

If you don't get any further info on here Thompsons should be able to tell you.

Good luck.

Devon, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Thanks so much for replying! Did it have a nice outside area to sit out in? Or was it rather on show? Did the people you talked to say anything about it? It's really difficult to see from the photos.

Do you think Assos is a good place to stay in. We have been to a lot of the other islands nearby - but never Kefalonia. Any info you can give us would be really grateful for.

Once again, many thanks.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Hi again

The garden area, from what we could see, was pleasant enough, not 'manicured' or ornate, grass, shrubs and trees. From what I can recall the couple were sat on director type chairs as opposed to sunloungers. We basically just did the hello, beautiful day kind of thing so didn't get into any detail about the property.

Hard to advise whether it's a good place to stay. It's an absolutely beautiful spot, arguably the most picturesque in what we consider to be the most picturesque island (and we've been to loads) We've certainly considered staying there but as you may have gathered we absolutely love Fiscardo and have questioned how we would feel about staying somehere so near yet so far from there so have settled for staying in Fiscardo and visiting Assos.

Because it's so pretty it's very popular with day trippers, both coach tours and private cars. It can get busy in high season, that said, the key word is 'day' ie, by mid to late afternoon they've all cleared off and left the local residents to enjoy the peace and quiet. Also, in our experience, very few of the day trippers stray much beyond the harbour and the castle so it would be unlikely that you'd get hoardes of people wandering past the house.

Also, although we don't like large towns/resorts by any means I think the main question would be whether it's possibly too small ? 6-8 places to eat, enough for a week or even 2 though, a small town beach. 2 very small supermarkets and a tiny gift shop - not much bigger than a kiosk really.

The main thing though is that it is a little off the beaten track so to go anywhere else you do have to drive up and down the very winding road to access the main west coast road.

Hope this helps, if you think of anything else I'll do my best to answer.

Edited: 05 August 2012, 20:42
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Hello...we've stayed at the Architects House twice, once in October, once in September. Our last visit was 2 years ago. It is so pretty but it's also basic. There is no tv, cd player or washing machine. The kitchen facilities are very basic - a simple cooker and a fridge with an ice compartment. It had seemed to go downhill a bit since on our second visit - a little grubbier and less frequently serviced. It's still a very charming and beautiful house though. The outside area is just a plain concrete patio with plastic furniture under an olive tree. We've spent a few evenings having pre and post dinner drinks there but it's not very private during the day as lots of coaches park just up the hill and all the tourists go marching past to get to the bay! You won't want to hang around at the house all day though as the island has plenty of lovley places to visit. Despite it's basic facilities, I would definitely recommend the Architects House, you can fit in 6 adults plus a few kids in the loft, so it's great value if you're a larger group.

Devon, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Thanks so much for the information. It helps a lot.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

nice period house 5 minute walk from the harbour Fully fitted kitchen washing machine and dishwasher. No A/c but we were there when it was 35 and the house was cool. would certainly go back to the house

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

We have just returned from a lovely week away in Assos, one of my favourite places.However, be warned! The Architect's house was a massive disappointment for us. We found the property tired and dirty and somewhat unloved. It needs an overhaul to say the least. The kitchen was certainly not fully fitted and was old, dank and musty. All the utensils and tableware had to be washed pre use due to the musty odour which was very off putting. The kitchen was grubby and had had a cat's lick of a clean. The lounge area was full of ornaments which had gathered dust and was stacked full of guests holiday books all of which I would certainly not want to pick up and read. We avoided sitting inside because of the smell.

The bedding was clean although again, the old iron beds were on close inspection, gathering dust and goodnes knows what else.Several bedside lamps did not work and the shades again were shabby dusty or broken.

In the main bathroom the shower fitting was broken and again cupboards were not fresh.Outside, the beautiful olive trees had been left to grow wild and you couldnt really see the front of the house as you can in the pictures.

We booked the property with Simply Travel which is part of the Thomson brand. These properties are meant to be of the more traditional variety which we love, but surely not shabby and tatty.

We paid a lot of money but were disapponted with what we got.Assos is such a beautiful place we loved it but feel majorly short changed by the condition of the property.

Assos is a place to visit but stay elsewhere. Don't waste your money staying here though.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Hi Grenbank and welcome,

I agree with your last sentence completely.

However I have not stayed at Architects House and it is a pity it spoiled your holiday. It would help everybody if you could try to write a review of the place on Tripadvisor in the reviews section. You could just cut and paste the one you have written here!

It is not listed so you have to give some details and you will be the first when they check things out.

Bob

Leicester
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Hi

I am really concerned to read this as we are going there at the beginning of September!! Should I take my duster and rubber gloves???

Did you get to complain to Thomson?

Would you mind recommending places to eat in Assos and also a good shop/market for supplies?

Many thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia

Here's the link Bob refers to with regards getting it listed on TA for reviews...........good and bad ! I think it would help others in the future greatly - http://goo.gl/u4AMkJ and as suggested you can just copy & paste what you've written here once it's listed

Edited: 18 August 2014, 17:21
Reply to: The Architect's House, Assos, Kefalonia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Assos