We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Bracknell, Berkshire
12 posts
Save Topic
Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Has anyone been to Diani Beach area with Thomson and gone on the Likoni Ferry? I have looked at it on You Tube and would ask if it is necessary to walk long distances to get on the ferry, or do you travel on to the ferry on the bus? the reason I ask is becauce I have walking difficulties and cannot walk very far.

regards

Trevor

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

you can do either trev , stay on the bus or get off

2. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 16:21
Bracknell, Berkshire
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Thanks guys, for the replies, that's put the wife's mind at ease!!...Trevor

Kamwari
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

The magic at the ferry is that a mzungu goes on board the car and the african has to go on foot , looks like those days in south africa before uhuru but surely thats how things are at the ferry scene

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Can2na

That's not true. People in private vehicles, of whatever nationality, stay in them. People on foot, or with bicycles or motor bikes, stay outside. And as far as I'm aware, matatus (shared taxi minibuses that provide low cost public transport) aren't allowed on board, so matatu passengers, of any description, have to go on as foot passengers, and change vehicles at each side.

There's enough genuinely wrong with Kenya's society and economy without creating the impression of some kind of ferry apartheid.

Or have I been missing something all these years?

Richard

Bracknell, Berkshire
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Yankari, Hi, I am not sure now if you are endorsing the opinion that Thomson passengers(I assume there would be about 100 all going in that direction) would have to get out of their transport-cross on the ferry- then embark on transport again to get to the resort,...surely we have some Thomson travellers that have made this journey recently,..Trevor

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Trevor

No, there's no problem. Sorry for any confusion. Passengers in vehicles that are allowed on the ferry stay in their vehicles. Any passengers travelling in vehicles that aren't allowed on the ferry naturally have to change vehicles, but that obviously doesn't apply to tourists en route to their hotels. It's a 5-minute roll-on-roll-off service. If it wasn't for the queues to get on it, you'd barely notice it.

Richard

Bracknell, Berkshire
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Richard, Thanks for the clarification, regards

Trevor

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Talking of the ferry.....

New ferries arrival date shifted to next year

nation.co.ke/Mombasa/…index.html

The new ferries will not come before Christmas as Mombasa residents expected, instead, the new date being touted now is early January.

Edna - put yer hat away! Are we surprised?

Bracknell, Berkshire
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Likoni Ferry, Mombasa

Wow!! will that be January 2010....now we're getting excited!!..cheers Trevor