We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend binoculars for safari

Nottinghamshire
7 posts
Save Topic
Recommend binoculars for safari

Hi

Can anyone suggest the ideal magnification for a pair of binoculars to take on safari?

Regards

Tanke Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Adventure Culture & Experience
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Swim with Dolphins, Multi-day Tours
Kenpal Tours & Travel
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend binoculars for safari

There are several things to consider -

- what are you mainly going to be looking at?

- what weight / size are you happy with?

- what budget do you have?

I would say 10 times magnification as a minimum, but much more than that tends to be too heavy / bulky.

Edited: 15 December 2009, 10:12
keniata
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend binoculars for safari

Hi

Peterscot is right, the binoculars you will need will largely depend on your preferred safari interest. For example if you are more of an animal person or bird watcher.

For a bird watcher, i would recommend 8x40 or 35x7...although a bit bulky, they come in handy with nice magnification for the feathered species.

Mwaki

leics
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend binoculars for safari

I'd go for 8-10 times magnification and ideally 40-50 objective. Any more marnification and it's hard to hold them really steady. Bigger objective lenses gather more light so give brighter, clearer images.

There are plenty of good ones around now for £100-£150. For something small, light and easy to carry the Nikon travelite, or even a similar pair from the RSPB are very good, despite a relatively small onjective lens. This isn't too much of a problem on safari where there should be ample light.

Don't go too cheap, the colours can be poor - that said I use a pair of Opticron 10x40 that are only around £150, and the images are fine.

4. Re: Recommend binoculars for safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach