We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay on holiday in Kenya

Braintree, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Gay on holiday in Kenya

My partner and I are due to go to kenya in septmeber for my 30th birthday. i am really worried as lots of my friends have advised that we should not go due to gaybashing, homophobia, threat of imprisonment etc what do you think\? any gay guys been there? we are staying in the voyager beach resort.

i want to enjoy the holiday and safari and dont want to have to look over my shoulder all the time. we are not a publically affectionate couple...what do you think? help!"!!!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

I think the references to "gaybashing and homophobia" has come from the Dispatches programme shown last night on TV. I watched a fair bit of it but decided to turn it off - it was (the 45 minutes I watched) pointed directly at African homosexuals and the views of the African people towards gay men (intolerant). There was a huge amount of trouble back in January this year becuase there was a rumour of a gay wedding - which makes it obvious and public and doesn't allow fellow Kenyans to "turn a blind eye" - it seems to me that once they were "officially" informed of this gay couple, then they felt the need to do something about it. Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt.

This is from my point of view:

I have visited Kenya many, many times. I have known of gay couples both male and female on holiday at the same hotels and lodges as me (including Voyager). I have never seen any problems or antagonistic behaviour towards gay people. I think the important part of your query is "we are not a publically gay couple" - in which case, I wouldn't worry about it. In my opnion they should be more worried about the "ladies of the night" than what a couple of lads are up to!

I shared my safari with a gay couple who didn't flaunt their sexuality but neither did they go to extremes to hide it. One of the guys was "obviously" gay and was open about it. They had a smashing time and didn't feel threatened.

Kenyans are aware that there are gay people in the World and lots of them visit Kenya as tourists. As long as you're discreet, you should be absolutely fine.

I hope you do go to Kenya - you'll have a lovely time, the people, the place and the flora and fauna are fantastic.

I hope what I've written makes sense, I've tried to put it across as plain as I can without fear of offending anyone! -- and I hope you have a fab time.

Min xx

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

You will be fine - and enjoy your holiday, not one person in the hotel will treat you any different than other couples - go out to the local shops - take a tour around Mombasa - visit a restaurant at night { taking transport of course} but it is safe ... eat together - drink together and have fun together and that goes for your Birthday party .. go to Monsoons for you birthday . it goes witrhout saying you cant walk through Mombasa holding hands - or kiss in public but to be together? of course . now put your worries aside - start thinking of nice holiday clothes and the fantastic holiday your about to take x

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

PDA (public display of affection) would be frowned upon whether straight or gay by many in many countries, so Kenya is no different.

Have met up with gays and lesbians on many of my safaris and found that hotels, lodges and camps couldn't care less.

Bearing this in mind and as others have said, go, enjoy and have a happy birthday.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

As long as you don't wear black leather trousers with the azz cut out, you will be fine.

;-)

SS

Braintree, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

Thank you for all your positive feeback xxx

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

Anthony

You'll have no problem at all. Very expressive local gay men can experience serious difficulties across the board, but most locals take the view that tourists, straight or gay, are all different from them anyway and they rarely if ever presume to tell you how to behave (even though, as people have said, discretion is the order of the day). If it's any use to you, there are now a few gay-friendly businesses in Kenya, including Magical Africa in Nairobi http://www.magicalafrica.net/ and Novta Tours in Malindi http://www.novtatours.net/

Have a great trip.

Richard

And if you want to look into the local gay activist scene

Have a great trip.

Richard

DC
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

Hey Anthony, I'll be in Diani in September. You going to be there or elsewhere? Safari? Although I'm gay I never really thought it would 'matter' there in any case.

-Robbie

Braintree, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

just back from Kenya....we had a fantastic time! we were asked if we were brothers about 50 times a day. i think they knew and were testing us but there was no problem. i would not hesitate to go back tommorw! it wasa woinderful holiday, i want to go back on safari!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

Welcome to the itis club! Glad you had a great time.

10. Re: Gay on holiday in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 05:16