We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

Washington DC
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

Hi there,

Question for those who have been to Diani before. I am arriving at Mombasa airport and need to get to Diani Reef Beach Resort. They offer a airport shuttle but it seems quite expensive. Can I get a taxi or something cheaper and reliable? Any tips would be appreciated.

Any tips for a day trip to Shimba Hills Nature Reserve? Who should I book the day trip with? Is diving any good?

Thanks for any advice and help.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

I can't advise you on how much a taxi will cost you but I believe you can book the Shimba Hills trip in the hotel with any of the reps. We booked the half day trip which was $45 ( all trips are priced in dollars) Can't remember how much the full day is, sorry. There is also a half day trip into Mombasa for the same price and that was quite interesting too.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

you can get what they call a taxi for KSh 3.000, maybe even cheaper which will include the ferry fare, if you need it

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

Please don't book with the hotel rep as much more cheaper with local tour operator and as well as the taxi.

Try Daniel Mwadime of Kt safaris for the taxi and Ferdinand Mwangwa of Beach Tours and safaris or Dickson of KT safaris for the day trip to Shimba hills.

That way the money stays in Kenya and does not go to the big reps.

Edited: 28 August 2010, 17:06
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

I agree, book local, everything, you'll get better prices

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

I'd be really interested to know how much cheaper you can do Shimba Hills by booking with a local tour than the hotel rep.We were quoted 5000 shillings by a small taxi operator to take us to Mombasa for the day which didn't include entrance fees to places and the knowledge of an excellent tour guide so in that respect it worked out cheaper for us to book with the rep.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

Forgot to say that the driver of the bus and the guide were Kenyans so obviously the trip we booked was keeping them employed which we also need to think about when booking

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

to give you an example:

ET was quoted a price of 45 US$ for a half day trip. Well, we've just returned from the South Coast and we (2 adults, one child) did a full day trip in a private vehicle for 200 US$ and we did not even haggle a lot (the company at Barclays Shopping Center started their bidding with 225 € which is appr. 300 US$) - we simply told them that another company was offering the same trip for US$ 200 (which was true) and then they agreed to match that offer

Edited: 28 August 2010, 20:42
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

eternaltourist.

The Ksh5000 per day you were quoted is spot-on for a regular saloon car taxi. In other words, roughly $63 or a little over £40. No need to pay any more, though you would pay more if you were going up to Shimba Hills and using a 4WD - probably $100, but no more. Entrance fees etc would all be extra but fuel would normally be included unless for extremely long runs.

Oliver, what kind of vehicle did you have for $200 and where did you drive?

Richard

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

it was your regular minivan with pop up roof (albeit a very new one, not sure if they have 4WD but I doubt it) and we went to Shimba Hills, with lunch at tree top hill; everything was included; according to what you wrote, ET, we still could have gotten a better deal...oh well, we still had fun, I saw the sable, something I've been waiting for for years now, never saw them in Kruger and neither saw them in Ruaha and Selous

Edited: 29 August 2010, 07:01
u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from Airport to Diani and Tips for Diani

The tour to Shimba Hills with the rep included a visit to a school for the deaf which was highly recommended to us. I was particularly interested in this as I work with special needs children myself. All I can say is that a visit to this country can only make you appreciate how lucky we are in the u.k.

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach