We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forty Thieves Bar

South Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Forty Thieves Bar

Just returned from Diani beach holiday at Vindago Cottages ( lovely spot right on the beautiful beach, bit basic but fine for a group of friends ). Checked out Forty Thieves, nice bar, BUT be very careful of thieves..my camera was stolen! NOT HAPPY & NO JOKE! Went for a evening meal, hoping someone had handed my camera in..nice candlelight & not bad Pizza BUT they served a half eaten Choc. mousse without even half an effort to disguise the fact...Just don't eat there!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

Following on from my response to your original post, I'm very sorry you lost over 400 photos; nothing can replace that. But please be aware that thieves are *everywhere* here, not just at Forties. You could go to the most reputable joint in town and still have your belongings stolen. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.

At the last Safari Sevens rugby tournament, all the cars left parked along one stretch of the park boundary were broken into - ALL of them: even with a constant "security" presence patrolling. Of course, the security patrols/police were no doubt bribed to turn a blind eye (or even doing the breaking-in themselves), and such is the nature of life in desperately poor and corrupt nations - there is no comeback. That, I'm sorry to say, doesn't help you, but it is useful for anyone else reading this to be aware of when travelling to places like Kenya.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and won't allow your experiences to mar your view of what is otherwise a beautiful country.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 07:12
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

oh no, sorry to hear about your camera, unfortunately as the last post has said, thieves are a risk anywhere

I've never eaten an evening meal at the Bar, have always used the Ali Barbours Cave restaurant next door

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

it's a nice bar.. I think it's one of the few places in DIani where you can relax with no worries of prostitution (unlike Shakatak and others).

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

I agree, a lovely place to chill and enjoy a cold Tusker or two. I would e-mail the owner George Barbour and bring the food issue to his attention. I'm afraid there's not a lot he can do about the robbery but I'm sure he would take the other issue seriously.

manager@alibarbours.com

5. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 10:35
Edited: 14 September 2010, 10:35
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

he he, there's nothing wrong with Tusker....esp Tusker Malt!

7. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 15:05
South Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

Thanks for all the comments. Quite ironic & the saddest part was that the photos were taken to be a fundraiser for Kenyan ngo umayafrica to get Ozzies to help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

what were the photo's of? maybe we could all chip in and help?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Forty Thieves Bar

Lovely beach bar, aptly named considering the nature of the post.

On a serious note valuables must be hidden out of sight and must be kept about your person at all times, if it's not nailed down it will be taken.

Cameras are a favourite target for thieves.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2010-6/1357566/AB.jpg