We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

Hi,.

I keep getting mixed information on this one and hoping you can help.

Do you need to download the visa form in the UK and take with you for submission at the Mombasa airport? Or, is this a form which the airline (Thomson) will hand out during the flight?

Thanks

sussex
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

The info about obtaining a visa and from where you can download the visa form is on this link: kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

Just download the visa form and fill it in ready and hand it in at Kenya immigration with the correct money on arrival and all will be well. Note that you will not need the passport sized photos that they request when applying for the visa in the U.K.

South Wales
Level Contributor
267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

It is much easier to complete the form before you fly as I remember filing in ours when I was not feeling too great after an overnight flight last year. i will be completing ours before we fly this year.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

The card given out on the plane is a landing card.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

Downloading the form and completing it at your leisure at home saves the scrum for forms, pens and a surface to write on at the airport and means you get straight into the queue for Immigration

WALLSEND
Level Contributor
376 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

When are you going? As I have read on here that the prices are going up on 1st January,but I go more than once a year so decided to apply for a yearly one. I dont have a printer so rang the Kenya High Commission, received form the next day. I sent it off and got it back within 4 days and got it for £30 (for the year). Obviously plus p&p, but will make life easier when we get there. Last time my friend had her visa and I didnt, so she was waiting for me for about an hour to get through, so you might think about doing it that way. Pamela

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

I totally agree with Pamela. We've just entered through NBO & because we already had our visas we were in the car park, with our bags, 20 minutes after landing. The visa queue went on forever.

Edited: 16 October 2010, 09:14
leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

It's cheaper to buy on arrival - after paying registered postage, getting photos etc at home.

But you get out into the sunshine and fresh air much quicker, instead of jostling in the queue.

Anyone got a coin..?

Watford, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

Its a lot easier to get it from the Kenyan High Commission in the UK. Having to queue up at immigration after a long flight just isn't worth it.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

Whenever I've come through Mombasa there's never been a separate queue for those already holding visas so you end up in the long queue anyway. Nairobi has a "Fast Track" desk which does enable you to get through ahead of the pack. Don't forget at Nairobi you have to give your finger prints. Expect Mombasa will soon follow.

10. Re: Visa - do at home or can you get one on arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 22:40
Edited: 16 October 2010, 22:40