We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

I'm aware of the better option of dowloading and completing the form at home before I fly. Can anyone tell me if I can pay the fee in GBP Sterling? I believe it's £20 per person, is that correct?

Regards.

SS

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

Yes it is ..........[ love the poppy ♥]

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

Sometimes the goal posts move and they put a sign up saying you can only pay in dollars. Dollars works out slightly cheaper at the moment.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

we were "told off" for paying in Dollars last time -the snot nosed git said " your English? pay in stirling !!! needless to say she never got a bag of biscuits lol!!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

It only seems to be Nairobi where they occasionally only accept dollars, Mombasa seems to always accept anything as there are only ever holiday flights there

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

Why dollars, when the Kenyan currency is shillings?

So. A £20 note will suffice for payment then?

Do you need to pay departure tax also?

SS

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

<<Why dollars, when the Kenyan currency is shillings?>>

Univerally accepted in all African countries, forex is always in short supply, so they look for ways to collect. As said a £20 note (usually) will do, but they prefer US$. its usually cheaper to stick to $, as conversion is rounded up to the nearest note.Coins are never accepted. Where departure tax is required ( depends on charter flight or schedule) Kenya accepts Shillings, but other countries require this to be paid in $ also.

Ivan

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

They usually accept US Dollars ($25), Sterling (£20) or Euro (20€) its just a way of acquiring foreign currency. The visa like many countries' visas is actually priced in US Dollars (the de facto international standard)

You will pay departure tax if you are travelling with Thomson, First Choice or on a Thomas Cook plane

colchester, uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

..."You will pay departure tax if you are travelling with Thomson, First Choice or on a Thomas Cook plane".

When i went to Mombasa last May we flew with First Choice but didn't pay departure tax.. has that changed since?

As far as i heard, you used to have to pay departure tax but that changed just before we went last year.

Confusing! We are going again next year march again to get married.. woohoo!!

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

HI All,I have just opened the site for form V.I and they now asking for 30 pounds for a single entry Visa and not 20 pounds as previously stated in some of the Q@A in this forum,,have they just increased their charges????

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Visa on arrival in Mombasa

Yes the visa cost increased 1st January. It has reverted to the cost is was until the elections a couple of years ago. They reduced it for a while