We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shikamana - heard any rumours?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Shikamana - heard any rumours?

I just want to clear up any doubts about Shikamana School for Orphans and Disadvantaged Children, in Diani. There is a rumour being passed via private messages about this school being under investigation for misuse of funds.

These callous rumours are affecting the support these fantastic children receive.

The school is UNDER NO SUCH INVESTIGATION and never has been. The UK based Charity monitors very closely the use of funds we send, and give specific instructions for how to spend the money to directly benefit the children. The relationship between the staff at the school and the three individuals running the charity is as strong as ever. We are not fools, we know that we are dealing with a country riddled with corruption so go out of our way, to ensure that total accountability for our funds is maintained. We find the staff are proud to provide such transparency for us.

A Nairobi Law firm handles the income the school receives from the American Benefactor, which I think most would agree is a sure fire way of keeping things legal and above board.

Please do not judge this school on the comments of one rumour, but ask further questions on the open forum and see what replies you get. Using PM's for such damage is cowardice and malicious. After all, if there was any truth in these rumours surely we all deserve to know about them, or at least have the opportunity to give an alternative view point.

Marco Polo Safaris
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Oranje Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

Hi Jules

Appalling. Why is it that people just can't leave things well alone. Why do people have to spoil things through petty mindedness and sheer malice. Perhaps TA Mods can intervene and stop these personal messages? After all , there is no foundation or truth in the messages, therefore they are damaging and as such should be removed and/or monitored immediately.

I do believe that personal messages can be monitored and if not, there should be a way, in exceptional circumstances, that TA mods are allowed to intervene.

Here's my support: Shikamana is a very well run school with very needy children who are looked after extremely well. Please PLEASE do not allow any stupidity via personal messages to cloud your judgement. What I will say to people who receive such messages is, look into the background/history of the people who are sending you the message, in particular any forum postings, and then make up your own mind.

Min x

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

and we can guess who is behind this campaign, someone who was a vocal supporter of the Shikamana and even boasted about being the founder of the school until being denounced by the real founder and being asked to have nothing more to do with the school, if memory serves.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

I have spent almost 12 years sussing out scammers/ conners and so-called home owners and as a trusted " Ta advisor" I do not reccomend Schools or homes home lightly

its always the same when a Forum member post they have gifts or donations for a home then the fun starts ..... sadly this gets personal and should never happen.

I also agree that personal messages should be monitored and if not, , that TA mods are allowed to intervene

Childrens home sadly are a lucrative business ( for some ) and although all children need welfare of some sort it isnt fair to see your gifts /donations being shared or sold for personal gain .

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

For what it is worth, All PMs are monitored so there is no reason to doubt that TA can and should intervene if there is a need to.

So if Paul has a 'name' let us see him/her outed on here.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

Mfuwe

"outing" this particular person will open up a whole can of festering and nasty worms. Trust me, the person will show themselves eventually......

Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

I sponsor 2 children at Shikamana and have visited the school and both of their homes. I didn't see anything at all to make me suspicious. The sponsorship scheme seems very well run and there is a very clear protocol in place. In addition to the sponsorship we have sent small amounts to buy other things for the boys(e.g. cagoules which Jules V personally delivered) and we have always seen photos of the boys wearing the items. We have a friend in the village one of the boys lives in who has no connection with the school and he has verified that the things we have given are being used by the boy they were given to.

As a sponsor of Shikamana I would be really interested to see evidence (IF THERE IS ANY) of any investigation or misappropriation.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

Funny how some people have gone quiet lately ???

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

Probably busy trying to get this thread removed............

9. Re: Shikamana - heard any rumours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 08:22