We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shimba Hills

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
198 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Shimba Hills

Returning to Kenya end June for just one week so thought would do a day trip to Shimba Hills from Diani Beach, did big safari last time. Is it worth the visit and how difficult is the walk to the waterfalls? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shimba Hills

hi lindyloo shimba hills is 20-000 odd thousand hectares, the falls are called sheldrick falls[discoverd by sheldrick]

from the parking lot to the falls takes about 2hours. some people do it on there own ,others use a ranger.

have never done it my self so only going on what others have tol me

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shimba Hills

To the falls and back may take 2 hours... It's not a hard walk, and the rickety old bridge is perfectly safe!!!

Shima Hills are not good for big wildlife, except Sable antelope which are unique to here in Kenya - which makes it worth the visit.

There are elephants, buffalo, 3 (exactly) giraffes and a few leopards but no other cats (you would have to be very lucky to see one).

The Lodge is a great place for lunch though. Squirrels and monkeys roam about and the pond contains turtles and monitor lizards. They put out food for the fish eagles and there is other interesting birdlife around.

If you leave the hotel early, tour the park before lunch, do the walk to Sheldrick Falls, then have lunch at the Lodge before heading home you can be back by mid afternon.

Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shimba Hills

Its worth the visit and manageable on a day trip. pick up from your hotel, game drive enroute to drop off to start sheldrick walk which is easy going down and kind of tough to some going back. lunch at shimba hills lodge would be great. animals likely to see, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, sable antelope, birds, some antelopes like dikdik among others.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shimba Hills

We found Shimba a delight. Topography somewhat reminiscent of parts of the UK or Ireland. The lodge was quite interesting with a rustic Hobbit like appearance but I wouldn't overnight there again, okay for lunch though. The walk to the falls was fairly easy but a couple of overweight ladies found it a bit of a hard climb back in the heat. The falls themselves were a bit of a disappointment but I guess, living in British Columbia we're kind of spoiled in that area. Still, it was good to get some exercise.The main animal attraction as mentioned, is the Sable antelope and we'd go again just to see them, What magnificent creatures! We were very happy we'd taken the time to visit Shimba. Can also recommend the elephant sanctuary and if we were to go again I think we'd try the camp there as opposed to Shimba lodge.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shimba Hills

Hi - I've visited Shimba on anumbe rof occasions - found a very large herd of buffalo, giraffe, Dik Dik and other antelope. However, as of 18 months ago, there was only one leopard left at Shimba and the staff weren't very sure if that was still alive. My review is here;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1024740-d…

There are also some pics - take a look it may help you decide further. However, I'd very much recommend a visit and overnight at Shimba, it has that certain something and an abundance of charm. A lovely, peaceful and very relaxing place.

I did the walk to the falls and back and I was exhausted. At the time I was very overweight and had asthma. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done but it was well worth it to see the falls and stand under them!!

Min xx

Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shimba Hills

Min xx, on leopard that is wrong. There are leopards only that its hard to spot them due to thick forest. just last week we saw 2 a male and female thought its was the females "time". Dan

Edited: 01 July 2011, 13:51
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shimba Hills

Havng been out many many tmes we sometimes go for lunch as it takes about 40 minutes from the Diani coast.

However we have stayed there 2 nights many times too apart from our main safari due tothe ambience of the lodge and good food etc. And of course the game drives and the walking tour.

Once there we find it difficult to go back to the hotel.

A one night stay would be perfect for you.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 14:21
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shimba Hills

Thanks for the confirmation, Dan. I'm so pleased that there are leopards there.

Min x

9. Re: Shimba Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach