We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Myself and my husband have just returned from a holiday in Diani. Whilst there we visited a school about 15minutes away from Maweni, called Millennium Children's Rescue Academy. WE were so taken with the school and what they had already achieved in a short time and how little the school had in the way of resources, that we decided we would like to help.

This school has 347 pupils with only 12 teachers, and mostly temporary classrooms. We would like to help the school if we can and have been discussing how. It is difficult from the UK without contacts in Ukunda to know how best to approach things. Has anyone any contacts that would be helpful to us

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

I have sent you a PM,

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

i have not found you PM can you try again

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

My advice would be for you to be very careful. One example that I can give is for a a head of a primary school very close to Ukunda is now driving a very nice motorbike following fund-raising/grants! I would suggest you don't give the school any money to handle as there will be "seepage". Better to buy gifts or handle projects yourself.

Its wonderful that you want to help and I don't want to put a downer on it but things sometimes aint what they seem!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Heed the warnings.

It's not known as "corrupt Kenya" for nothing.

You must assume that anything and everything that is said to you in Kenya is part of some kind of elaborate scam to part you with your money, don't trust ANYBODY and you won't be disappointed.

Sad but true.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Thank you for your advice, we are concerned, hence the reason for the question. We do so want to help and have been in touch with a charity that is looking at the school in question so will await their advice. It is so sad that things are not always what they appear as I am sure many are genuine and lose out because of it. Unfortunately we can not return for over a year so can not help locally. I would appreciate any info of on the ground charity contacts that are genuine.

ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

sorry to say as previous writers i think so many things are part of elaborate scams in kneya coast, they think tourists are millionaires,.there is an english man john who is owner of ushagos bar near beach who wil advise you of best thing to do,.,.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

If you have received the PM from Drakesdrum you have already received advice from the most knowledgeable person on this subject

Edited: 30 January 2012, 05:40
Kandahar
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

At the same time ,some European people who come and stay in Kenya use the sponsorships from their colleagues who work hard in Europe for their personal gain.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

francis o if you are certain about this accusation then you should name and shame .........................

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Rubies - I sincerely hope you are in touch with Drakes Drum. She is a wonderful source of advice, so please listen to her.