We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Myself and my husband have just returned from a holiday in Diani. Whilst there we visited a school about 15minutes away from Maweni, called Millennium Children's Rescue Academy. WE were so taken with the school and what they had already achieved in a short time and how little the school had in the way of resources, that we decided we would like to help.

This school has 347 pupils with only 12 teachers, and mostly temporary classrooms. We would like to help the school if we can and have been discussing how. It is difficult from the UK without contacts in Ukunda to know how best to approach things. Has anyone any contacts that would be helpful to us

Kandahar
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

That is why I prefer what I call direct help to the children.No intermediate or any middlemen between the sponsor and the children.Its good to ask for proofs of pictures or videos and know whether the donation is miss used or not and whether on the rightful needy children or not..

That is why in 2009 I dedicated my self and a group of friends from Czech Republic and traveled in the dangerous remote areas all over Kenya ,just to give some needy children learning material.It was direct to them not teachers.

I continue doing the same up to now, around my village.Don't trust even the local Europeans in Kenya trust by seeing yourself.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

I am sorry to say that even with you personally ( as you have stated) given educational materials "direct" to children -it still doesnt mean that child will keep it ... many of the parents will remove the items and sell them --many of the children will sell or cut even a pencil in half to make money . . .

There several Organisations who only deal in School sponsorships and alhough they do take a small administration charge - at least a child will attend and recieve schooling ... you cannot come on this forum and point an accusing finger at Europeans who devote their life to making sure poor children recieve an education to get out of the poverty trap .... if you have the proof and names? then go to the local Government Offices - the Mayor of the village or the Minister of Education and report it ,..

finally ............. pictures and videos are not always what there cracked up to be -- its very easy for small Kidogo to photograph a "school " its even more easy to set up a working school for visitors . . . . I have seen many uncrupulous -so called - Headmasters - round up a few a few Mothers and local village children to come into a crappy mud hut - give them a few bits of pencils and a sheet of paper to look like a class . . video comes in - children clap sing - The "headmaster " makes a plea worthy of an Oscar - . a donation is given and each persons takes their cut . . . ..............

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

I also agree that not everything is what it seems. There are many, many examples when people help, donate, raise funds which do not get to the projects they were meant for. Pictures and videos often prove nothing, sadly, as they are easily arranged. My girlfriend and her friends had been doing a yearly fund raising and every year they would choose an orphanage or school, to donate. And even though they did not donate cash, they donated toys, stationery, books, etc, they were horrified to come to one orphanage a month later to check on them only to see ZERO books and toys - they were sold or taken elsewhere. This really put them off doing this since, they are now supporting one project which they can visit regularly and control their support.

We are here, on the ground, but we have been very careful with the local charities/schools/orphanages who approached us in large numbers. We visited more than a dozen of various local needy places before making up our mind. We eventually chose two to support ourselves and promote to our guests. We have had some wonderful response from some of our guests and we are confident that all help given to either of the two goes to the right channels and projects. In fact initially one of them was pointed out to us by one of our guests while we were searching!

It is very nice that you feel compassionate but unfortunately one has to be very careful.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Edited: 02 February 2013, 16:04
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

You’re fighting a losing battle as the instinct is for everyone to try to get something out of it for themselves.

We used to support a school. Built class-rooms, dug a borehole (several times!), built latrines, shipped out tons of books and sports equipment. Money was never given to the school – a trusted friend dealt with the payments.

But the books and equipment disappeared. The building floors crumbled as the fundis helped themselves to the bags of cement – hence the weak mix caused the floors cracked up. The bore hole was sabotaged by a neighbouring village who threw stones down it as they were jealous, and the latrines fell into disrepair.

There was always a list of things required and as fast as we begged and borrowed to raise funds, it needed more. The final straw for us was when the headmaster acquired a brand new motorbike.

I wonder what happened to the grant for the staff room???

15. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:35
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Sorry Dave, but Tripadvisor doesn't allow self-promotion or solicitation even of charities, so your post is likely to be deleted.

Have a read of the guidelines the link is immediately above the reply box at the bottom of the thread, click on the 'solicited or sold to' link then read the section on charities.

Nairobi kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Hi!

The headmaster maybe known to me.....Im also in the process of evicting a crook who tried to rip my mother off - its a small chance but I know he cons foreigners and rides a motorbike...and sets up "community projects" - .is his first name Charles?? By any chance??? Im an ex UK cop - i've been sucessful in Court here already - even without an advocate......

Nairobi kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

So how does the childrens home ease peoples fears if they want to get to know about it?? You mean they can critisise through this site but not defend themselves??

Nairobi kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Hi!

Anyone with such fears regarding this school please contact me at sovereignradio@yahoo.co.uk

Dave Needham (British)

Nairobi kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Sponsorship of a SChool near Ukunda

Hi! I fully understand the fears expressed in this website, infact I and my family have been victim in the past of some of them. I met the administrator of The Millenium Children's Rescue Academy in 2005, even before he initiated the community project. I am now partnering to progress the school and build an orphanage nearby. I am British and still have a home in Sheffield in the UK. My UK home provides me with an income whilst im in Kenya and I hope soon to have paid work in Kenya too to support the orphanage as the school and orphanage are non profit making organisations.

If you have ANY questions regarding the aforementioned I am always happy to assist you in learning more about the organization,

My email address is - sovereignradio@yahoo.co.uk

Best Regards,

Dave