We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

I  cannot believe that in this day and age, some beach hotels at our Kenyan coast cannot allow locals to drive into their hotels for whatever! Baobab Beach and Spa Diani...****!!!? just 4 days ago at 7.30 am Tue /7th Feb... In my own country....?

I never got past the gate and me and the driver had to park and wait for

my guests from Europe ( who are actually travel agents here to see what Kenya has to offer) who were staying there had to walk to the gate/road for me to pick them up..! I still can't believe it actually happened ...! 

Even the drink etc I was hoping to have there was not to be... Can't one walk in/ drive in without a booking...then they said they Only allow cars from "large tour operators" as I was with a tour van and driver..

I have never experienced this before in my twenty something years in tourism industry and in particular as a tour operator..what about common Kenyans trying to sample what the coast has to offer? Plus to say they only allow tour vans from large tour operators is even worse with all these many upcoming Kenyan owned tour operators...! They even said they do not know "this company" pointing at the company sticker on the minibus..even the security manager whom I spoke to on phone stood his guard...so did the reception whom I could only access on phone from the gate... Having been a past chairman of KATO, I tried all diplomacy and charm and reason and how this is bad image for guests but wapi. Such hotels are sabotaging our efforts to give Kenya a good name.  Am still with guests now on Safari and they cannot understand why they have to be made to walk to the gate carrying their luggage....plus I cannot go into Baobab beach Hotel when I walk into many + stars in New York etc with no problem .. 

This is such a bad image for tourism given the clients had to walk with their luggage to the gate as they were proceeding on safari!!

I have just been notified by another hotelier also from Diani with the finest boutique hotel in Diani that they have had problems in the past as they only allow their own vehicles in mainly

...... This is so insulting! And to say we are promoting tourism....?

Oranje Safari
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Tanke Tours
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Given the present security status in your country do you not agree that some level of restriction is needed. All someone with malicous intentions needs is a vehicle that looks right and if they make all the right noises they are in. It is an unfortunate reality of the world we now live in.

Regards

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

some make their own rules, after all its their hotel and their business, they might prosper or even suffer with their rules,

i noticed neptune (diani) is also no go,

on the positive side we have had no issues taking our private taxi into leopard beach (diani) or pinewood (diani) or serena (shanzu) or whitesands (bamburi) or papweza (bamburi) or travellers (bamburi) or tamarind dhow (mba) and the driver was welcomed to join us,

you probably wont make them change their rules, its all about watu wakubwa and how to make them spend spend spend while promising them shining 5* services.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

another no go was turtle bay (watamu),

but private taxi was welcomed at hemingways (watamu), corel beach (diani) and forty thieves/ali barbours (diani),

so things have changed in the last few years, but you cant expect every hotel to change with time.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

I stayed at turtle bay last September and had no problems with private taxis or independent tour operators vehicles being allowed in to pick me up and drop me off. They also allowed my Kenyan guests in.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

porcao,

this policy by certain hotels long predates the current security situation.

Many hotels have been barring the vehicles of tour companies that are not on their 'preferred list' and independent taxis from picking guests up in their grounds for years

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

We have had no problems with the safari company that we book with getting through the main gates of Southern Palms collecting us for an early start. (Beach Air Tours and safaris)

We inform reception and they inform the gate keepers who will be on duty.

Also when being picked up from the airport the taxi or safari van is allowed in no problem.

Local friends have to sign the book at the main gate of Southern Palms and are allowed in for the day.

If we take a taxi from outside the gates or matatu to Barclays and pick up another taxi to take us to the main shoppping centre we are always allowed back into Southern Palms with no problem.

We have also taken a taxi to IOBC, Diani Reef, Leopard Beach, Baobab Beach Hotel,Forty Thieves for lunch and allowed into these hotels although not residents and have not been stopped coming back to Southern Palms in the taxi.

Obviously different hotels have their own set rules.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 09:58
Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

We had no problems at Voyager, last year. We drove ourselves and had no problem getting in. Friends visted us while we were there and they had no problem driving in - we told reception to expect them. There were quite a few 'locals' staying there too.

The problem is that if hotels operate a more 'open door' policy, then it will not be long before visitors start to complain about lax security. From a guests perspective, it was reassuring to know that security was well maintained.

8. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2012, 14:05
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,492 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Robin,

Whilst security is of course a concern I think if you read the two posts you will see that several Lodges are blatantly discriminating in favour of their chosen operators. This is damaging tourism far more than Duncan's complaint. NO WAY will I carry my bags to and from a gate just because my chosen carrier is not on some idiots "approved" list.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Of course not... you make *their* staff carry the bags to and from the gate. And pay those porters handsomely for it... no better way to wind up the management :-)