We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to take for the children

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
5 posts
Save Topic
What to take for the children

Sorry if this has been asked before..

We will probably visit some of the local villages and schools. What would be the best things to give the kids as gifts?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What to take for the children

I had one in the last trip, didn't know what it was and thought it was just a mark. When I tried to brush it off it stayed and that's when I shouted for hubby!! Yucky little thing not nice, got it from the sand.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What to take for the children

Yuk - my hubby has had hook worm twice! That was bad enough! He got it in Costa Rica I think. It was a devil of a job to treat because we don't have the medication availble in the UK. They had to send it in from Spain. I made him wear socks in bed! Yuk yuk yuk!

Hopefully our boys are well on the way to recovery from jiggers though.

Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What to take for the children

We have just returned from am amazing two weeks at diani beach. We visited a local rescue school in Ukunda called Ebenezer Rescue School which caters for orphans and children from 1 parent families who cannot afford to send their kids to school. They are badly in need of books and pencils as well as money to pay the teachers. The lady who runs the school, Margaret, is a volunteer and receives no income. Please please help them. I am going to be fundraising in Scotland for them.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What to take for the children

After this discussions about jiggers a few days ago, I found I had one myself!! Interesting that it was the adjacent toe which was itching. Esther got it out for me using a needle. Nasty things if they are left to multiply.

On TV the other day there was a piece about the Ahadi Trust which is having a major campaign at the moment.

So for visitors, "yes please" to socks for children!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What to take for the children

Just to add, chiggers and jiggers are completely different things... the chigger is a larval-stage bug, often found up-country and looking very much like a tiny, red tick. They are also known as berry bugs, harvest mites, red bugs, scrub-itch mites and aoutas.

The jigger is the Chigoe flea (sand-flea), found at the coast, the breeding female of which burrows into the feet of mammals to lay its eggs.

Two entirely different species - both to be avoided - causing one nasty reaction. Moral of the story? Avoid walking barefoot here :-)

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What to take for the children

"Handling Chigger Bites

Chigger bites on human skin showing characteristic welts.

Because chigger wounds are a complex combination of enzymatic and the resulting mechanical damage, plus allergy and immune responses, plus possible secondary bacterial infection subject to local influences, there is no one remedy that works equally well for most people. It is typical for experienced people to say that any given method is useless, but that another works very well.

Itching can be alleviated through use of over-the-counter topical corticosteroids and antihistamines. Hot showers or baths also will help reduce itching. In cases of severe dermatitis or secondary infection associated with chigger bites, a doctor should be consulted. [30] Some swear by the application of petroleum jelly or by painting nail polish over the chigger bite, under the belief that the nail polish will suffocate the chiggers buried under the skin. However, this 'treatment' is based on common misconception, as chiggers do not actually bury themselves in skin. Rather, the digestive enzymes in the saliva are what cause the severe itching sensation. [31]

It is to be noted that the myth of chiggers burrowing under the skin is more or less perpetuated by these 'treatments' effects, insomuch as they cause you to refrain from scratching the affected area, and therefor allowing the skin to heal sooner."

I have one on my calf at this very moment and by god, it itches :-(

Never had jiggers though (touch wood).

Edited: 18 July 2012, 10:05
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What to take for the children

Jiggers...

If you have a strong stomach, have a look here... actually far nastier than the chigger healthinplainenglish.com/health/…

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What to take for the children

Oh.......... dear.............. Lord

Thank goodness Dave caught and killed mine swiftly.

Pass me the gag bag

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What to take for the children

Gross as hell, ya?!

:-\

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts