We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Kenya January 2013

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Kenya January 2013

Hi everyone

Can anybody who has gone and come back from Kenya in January 2013 please let me know what the weather was like whilst they where out there? Please!? Also can you tell me whether you went on a safari? What safari? Was there many animals to see?

i know this seems silly we have booked for January 2014 and im worried ive picked the wrong month as it seems to just be forecast for heavy rain and thunderstorms! : /

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Becca, all depends on where you go. The Mara, Nairobi, Nakuru and environs were very wet in 2012 & 2013 in January. The coast was drier.

Where are you going?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Becca,

January to March are the hottest months, it normally gets hotter as we go through to March then, historically, at the end of March , early April the Long Rains start.

You needn't worry at the moment it is very hot, its actually a couple of degrees above normal for this time of year. The Kenya Met Dept are reporting that the temperatures are higher than normal at the moment, most days hitting 33º or 34º mainly due to higher than normal humidity. Even the locals are grumbling about the heat.

As you are posting on the Diani forum, I presume you are staying there, you can get an idea of the weather from my regular reports, I'm based on th other side of Mombasa but the overall weather should be similar

Have a look here, and read the first post about why I started them

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46393318

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Hi thank you for your replys i appreciate it : )

We are staying in Diani Sea Resort for 2 weeks from the 6th Jan to the 21st Jan 2014. We are planning on booking our safari through JT safaris and we are undecided of whether to pay the extra amount and do a 2night 3 day stay at Masai Mara or do a cheaper 2night 3day stay at Tsavo East/West

Has anybody done a safari to either Masai Mara or Tsavo East/West in January? I thought i was picking a good month as i hate rain! lol but the weather forecast are saying storms at the minute and im worried if we do a safari and its raining we wont see as many animals!

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

In Kenya, rain is a blessing. Far worse to visit after a prolonged drought. In 2009 we saw many many dead and dieing animals in Amboseli. Thankfully the rains have returned and the park has recovered. Lets pray the higher than average temperatures, at the moment, aren't a bad sign. Kenya needs rain. It isn't just the animals that die when there is a severe drought.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Becca,

the forecasts always say rain and thunderstorms, as I say in the first post on the linked thread and the real weather is usually different, that's why I started that thread. We are certainly not having storms at the moment, in fact I can only remember one thunderstorm in the last 4 years or so

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Yeah I know that no rain whatsoever is bad. I am a vet nurse so I understand how important rain is to the wildlife in Africa. This is why I chose January as March April and May is supposed to be the heavy rain season and January and February being a month where there is little rain. I just didn't want to leave cold rainy England to thunderstorms in Kenya! Thank you for that I have looked at your forum and it is very helpful! :) I am very excited to visit Kenya and go on my very first safari!

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Hi been to Kenya 3times now pay the extra and go the masi mara well worth it

8. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 07:05
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

OMG thank you i need help i love animals and i want to make the most of the time we spend in Kenya, we want to do a safari and we want to ensure we will see lots of animals

Tsavo East/West or Masai Mara?

HELP!!! :D

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Kenya January 2013

Becca, I live on the south coast and there is a difference in the weather even 20 km away, let alone a year ahead! Usually at the coast January is hot and dry with good north east wind to cool you off :) So don't worry about the weather for your coast holiday bit.

The weather on safari can be anything but mostly it is a dry month. This year they had more rain than usual in December so the report from Tsavo East/West (friends came back yesterday) - all is green but no rain. They saw a leopard - highlight of the weekend! Generally when it is dry animals concentrate around water holes and river beds, when it is green they wonder where they please. But exactly a year ago (early Feb) Tsavo East was bone dry, so we saw loads of animals as they congregate nearer water. Saw cheetahs, lions, lion kill, tons of elephants and others.

Same with Mara. I used to go every year in January/February - usually nice, not too dry but not lush green either. But in 2004 I learned how to drive in black cotton mud as Mara was just about flooded. Go figure!

So there is no way to say what weather will be like next year! Think positive though!

As for your choice. From Diani if your budget permits, you can fly to Mara and even Tsavo/Amboseli. However, Tsavo East/West and even Amboseli (although a bit further) can be reached by road. You can even combine both Tsavo parks with Amboseli.

Each park has its own unique landscape, set of animals you "should" see and animals you will not see in one, but will see in another. Also game drives are often a luck of the draw. You can drive and see nothing in a particular place, but people 10 min behind you will see a lion kill or a leopard.

I personally love each park for its own little something :) So why don't you have a look at the budget, see what you can work our for accommodation and transport and get some quotes. From there you will have a clearer picture. Any park is good!

Happy planning!

Edited: 14 January 2013, 17:40