We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering coming to Diani tomorrow.. but no vaccinations yet. Can anyone advise me on this? I could still get the malaria pills and yellow fever shot, but not sure if it will protect me so soon after taking it. Will it be safe?

Thanks

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

There is no yellow fever in the coast area according to a health inspector at the airport and a doctor I saw in Mombasa Hospital when I came for a yellow fever jab. They were very surprised when I came to do it, but I needed it for going to South Africa (they consider Kenya to be in a yellow fever belt and if you arrive from Kenya you have to have it).

If you are planning to stay in a good quality hotel I would not be worried about yellow fever. Take mosquito repellent and use it in addition to your malaria pills. I never took any and have no idea when you should start, check the information on this one.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

Neither malaria pills nor yellow fever jab is required for entry to Kenya. The yellow fever jab is not fully effective until about 10 days after. Given your situation, I would probably forget about the yellow fever jab (unless going to another country that would require it, e.g., Tanzania or SA) and just start on malaria pills at the earliest. Malarone is a good choice and you're supposed to take it 1 or 2 days before getting to a malaria area, while you're in the malaria area and for 7 days after leaving the malaria area.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

You do not need the Yellow Fever vaccination to enter Kenya if you are travelling from Europe, and there is little risk of contracting the disease anywhere in Kenya (there has only ever been one outbreak and the last case from that was was in 1995) and virtually none at the coast, where even the ultra-cautious WHO have amended their advise to:

"There is a low potential for exposure to yellow fever in the North Eastern province, the states of Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Malindi, and Tanariver in Coastal province, and the cities of Nairobi and Mombasa."

Vaccination is now not normally recommended if you are only visiting these areas."

BTW the quality of your hotel has no relevance to Yellow Fever the mosquito that carries it has no concept of quality.

See the FAQ on the right of this page for more info

As for anti-malarials with the two most popular prophylactics you are supposed to start 24 hours before entering the malarial area (in this case Kenya) so if you bought them on arrival you would at risk for 24 hours. Though you will probably be covered if you choose doxycycline because it is a suppressive prophylactic. it kills the parasite once infection has taken place and the parasite has started the second phase of reproduction in the hosts blood stream, and therefore has no effect until the liver stage is complete.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

Doff, you are right :) I was handling some questions about cholera, typhoid and yellow fever earlier on and my brain just went on auto pilot :)

However, just a small note - some hotels take measures against mosquito breeding: keep drains and gutters clean and free of debris, etc, take items which can potentially hold stagnant water off their property or in places without water access, make sure grounds are properly drained, grass cut, pool well chlorinated, water ponds and other features aerated, etc. And even though mosquitoes are free to fly anywhere, at least hotel grounds are not their breeding grounds hence lower chances to get bitten, etc.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

nyc
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations

Anywhere in the world whether your home or a hotel, should take the same precautions re 'standing' water, regardless what disease the mossies are carrying.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations

Thanks all for the advice!

7. Re: Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 05:18