We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security diani beach and tiwi beach

Europe
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
security diani beach and tiwi beach

Hi

we are a family with children and we are looking to rent a private house directly on the beach at tiwi beach. The house is full staffed and has a night guard.

How is the security there on the beach and in the night ?

considering the security situation makes sense to rent a private house on the tiwi beach ?

many thanks for your help

regards

cpandrea

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security diani beach and tiwi beach

Beach frontage although lovely does pose a security risk. One Askari would have difficulty guarding the whole compound - I would want a team with backup and possibly a dog. Past instances of robberies show often its an inside job so be wary. Also Tiwi is quite remote. Sorry to be a party pooper, just take care.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: security diani beach and tiwi beach

Also your security guard will be in a deeper sleep than you at night so do not think you have someone alert and patrolling the grounds as you sleep.

Europe
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: security diani beach and tiwi beach

hi many thanks for your answer

the private house is just a few plots north of the SheShe Baharini Beach Resort on Tiwi Beach

the house has a night guard and a dog plus a siren and radio alarm system with back up guards nearby (how near ? where ?)

How is the general security situation in Diani and Tiwi beach ?

Naarden, The...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: security diani beach and tiwi beach

All,

I read that a lot of people have enjoyed their stay after our unfortunate encounter with some highly aggressive locals (?)

In august 2011, at night, 8 locals 'managed' their way into the private house where we would be staying for a week. With nowhere to go we just awaited their entrance. They used large panga knifes and a pistol. My wife, children and I were beaten and threatened for about half an our. Wounded, scared and robbed (money, passports, phones, clothes, photoequipment, ...) we left the country.

We had two marvellous weeks prior to coming to Tiwi. We were taken care of by every single Kenyan we met. Just had some ultrabad luck in that beautiful house.

There's many people who have enjoyed their stay rather than anything else. But since you're asking: Don't have too much confidence in guards. Ours was stabbed and unable to do something. Being alone on the beach with your fairytale-house is also more risky than staying among other people/lodges. KNOW WHERE THE ALARMKNOB IS AND USE IT (I didn't know).

Don't let this spoil anything, just think harder than I did. I should have known better: the poverty, lack of water, medicine, food and so on the Kenyans are suffering is so in conflict with what we can afford that there may be no other way to support a family than by robbing.

Also, this was in 2011. Don't know, surely hope so, if the situation has changed.

Ron

5. Re: security diani beach and tiwi beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 07:18