We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

Hello,

I have started to become nervous when flying recently and with the well documented Dreamliner problems I'm quite nervous about my flight to Kenya from Gatwick.

I've been prescribed 6 2mg tablets for my flight and I was keen to see if anyone else on here had used them and could describe their experience with this drug?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

Valium (diazepam) has muscle relaxant/sedative properties and will likely work for you. I'm not nervous about flying but I strive to do my best at getting as much sleep as possible on the long haul flights so I can deal better with lag; my doc will order some Ambien to help with sleeping. Personally I prefer Xanax to Valium for fear/anxiety situations, and Xanax does an excellent job of allowing one to sleep.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

Does anyone know when it starts to wear off, I'm conscious of taking a second pill further into the flight and ending up ruining the first few hours after landing as well

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

If you're taking only 2 2-mg tabs you should be fine.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

We had quite a bad car crash in Oz in 2003 and I was in the middle of a round the world trip. I was struggling with flights so was prescribed tranquilisers by the doc, over there, so that I could continue. I managed just three tablets from a pack of 64. Whilst they made it easier to fly, I was horrendous when they wore off. Talk about nasty! My poor husband. And anyone else in range for that matter! I'm much more relaxed flying these days but I never sleep - even on night flights. I'm never that relaxed. But flying is just something I am willing to do because my desire to travel is greater than my fear of flying.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

I am assuming you won't be combining these pills with alcohol. 2 mg is a light dose. The ones sold in Kenya are 5 mg and I have sometimes used them if I got stuck in bad or noisy hotels while traveling in Kenya. They are prescription drugs here but a few places will sell you a small number of them over-the-counter if you don't look like a junkie.

Start with a single 2 mg tablet, preferably on an empty stomach so it takes effect faster. I find the effect wears off after 6-8 hours, though everyone is different.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

6 of 2mg... why not on a w/e with no plans - working, driving, anything requiring concentration - try 1/tab and see your reactions.

do you get tired/sleepy,actually fall asleep, upset tummy or other, how long till it wears off.

unlike post above if you should take with food, then do so. wouldn't try w/o food until you know what possible effect the tab might have. tranquilizers can react differently on everyone.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

2 mg is a very, very low dose, unless you are highly sensitive to benzodiazepines (such as diazepam/valium). I rarely take it but when I do, two 5mg tabs is barely noticeable. It has a long half life, which means it is slow to start and lasts for a while, so it is nice for something like sleeping or relaxing without knocking you out completely. A drug like zolpidem/ambien has a short half life and takes effects very quickly, but also only last for a short time (few hours, depends on how you metabolize it, obviously affected by how much you eat etc., as well). So diazepam in my experience, and my patients' experiences, will be unlikely to leave you feeling groggy or difficult to wake up. This is, of course, dependent on the individual, and alcohol or combining with other medications will affect how it works.

As I said, 2mg is a very low dose, but if it works for you, great! Better less than more, especially with habit-forming drugs such as benzodiazepines. Good luck on the flight!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

Hi

we have just been and returned on this fantastic new plane

the whole experience was very enjoyable from take off to landing

hardly any noise from engines lots of leg room easy to watch and hear films and excellent cabin service

out bound is night flight after drinks and meal it goes quiet even i slept for a few hours i don't normally

on the way back day flight lots going on our 8 hour 45 min flight went fast watching 3 films lots of cabin service shame to miss all this a sleep

my wife also a nervous flier did not need to take her sleeping tablets felt very safe and slept well on the out flight

enjoy your stay in Kenya as we always do our next flight will be on the dream liner noting we did upgrade to premium class worth every penny even been from Yorkshire;-)))

9. Re: Diazepam for Flight to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18