We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

Hi all

I'm travelling to the Baobab Beach Resort in March and have a few questions:

1. I am intending to withdraw money for tips etc from an ATM upon arrival. I've been advised it's best to get small notes. Do the ATMs dispense these or am I best going into a bank or foreign exchange?

2. I would like to go on a snorkeling trip to see turtles. I have read that Wasini Marine Park is good for this. Is this a feasible trip to do from this hotel and does anyone have any idea of cost?

3. If I purchase products not included in the AI package are these charged to the room or are they payable immediately? Can I settle bills using Visa debit?

4. I've read somewhere that beer is served warm. Are chilled beverages available?

5. Should I tip waiters and bar staff per meal/round or should I tip daily or weekly?

Sorry for all of the questions! Any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Kirsty

Cardiff
Level Contributor
368 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

Its about three years since I last went to Kenya and I can possibly only give u my answers based on that experience.

!) the only notes I got out of an ATM were 500 +1000 Shilling

and the only other question I know any thing about is beer

4) The olny beer I had was served chilled, but it does go quite warm quite quckliy, my son never had a problem, possibly he drinks 2 to my 1

When I tipped it was after first meal etc then mid hol then again at the end

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

Kirsty:

1. I am intending to withdraw money for tips etc from an ATM upon arrival. I've been advised it's best to get small notes. Do the ATMs dispense these or am I best going into a bank or foreign exchange?

Steve's right, nearly always just Ksh1000 notes, worth about £7 each

2. I would like to go on a snorkeling trip to see turtles. I have read that Wasini Marine Park is good for this. Is this a feasible trip to do from this hotel and does anyone have any idea of cost?

Very feasible, the hotel excursions desk will book for you. Around £100 for the day per person, including transport, equipment, maring park fees and lunch. Drinks are extra.

3. If I purchase products not included in the AI package are these charged to the room or are they payable immediately? Can I settle bills using Visa debit?

I'm sure you can do both, but most people would choose to settle up at the end. I think it's more likely they'd take payment using a Visa credit card account, rather than directly from your bank account.

4. I've read somewhere that beer is served warm. Are chilled beverages available?

Kenyans traditionally tend to prefer beer warm. But that's like saying that Brits generally drink bitter, and prefer it at room temperture. Ask for your beers "baridi sana" (very cold) and the bar staff will do their best by pulling bottles from the back of the fridge. Sometimes you'll even get a chilled glass, it depends on the establishment. It's fair to say that getting a really frosty bottle of beer is a bit rare.

5. Should I tip waiters and bar staff per meal/round or should I tip daily or weekly?

I always leave a tip in the staff tip box (usually in reception) at the end of my stay - usually Ksh1000 per day per room. Once you start tipping individuals on the coast it can get a bit fraught and competitive.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions - really helpful and much appreciated!

Cheers!

Kirsty

4. Re: Baobab Beach Resort - various questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19