We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

Hello,

Just looking for a pointer in the right direction. I'm going to Kenya for a week so was wondering are there any malaria tablets that are good for a short trip?? Or ones to avoid?

Ideally I don't want to have any bad side affects (obviously that can't be predicted) or take them too long before or after.

Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

Malarone - the more expensive but supposedly least side-effects. 2/tabs before departure, daily while incountry and 7.days on return

Doxycycline - relatively cheap, some say little side effects if any; also 2/days prior, daily and 28/days on return,

Both have to be taken with food, preferably dairy why breakfast best time. With doxy you have to remain upright (no laying down) or tabs can pop up which isn't good.

Discuss with your doc any medical requirements/needs.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

Thanks for your help. I will discuss with my doctor this evening.

west midlands
Level Contributor
846 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

got my malarone from asda works out at £2.50 per tablet.

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

In general...

Doxycycline - but can cause photosensitization - not good for sunbathing, Ok for business travel

Larium - but can have neurological effects

Malarone - probably best option, but most expensive

Always combine with insect repellent, 50% DEET recommended.

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

After discussion with health professional who told us pros and cons of each, we decided on Malarone. I think we paid about 2.50 each from Co-op chemist.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

Good choice.

7. Re: Best malaria tablets for short trip to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach