We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuturists.

Isle of Man, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Nuturists.

I have read elsewhere that there is a problem with naturists encroaching onto the main beach in Arillas.

As this other web site is a forum about Arillas, and most of the people who post on there are regular holidaymakers to there, I thought I would post on here to get a more impartial view.

So is there a problem with naturists, because I would not like to take my grandchildren there next year.

It seems a shame if this is the case as there appears to be a lot of nice places to stay, and you would not like this thing spoiling a nice family holiday.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuturists.

I have never seen naturists on the main beach in Arillas - they have their own small beach at the northerly end which can only be reached by wading through the sea. Of all the naturists' presence on beaches I have seen in Corfu, the people at Arillas are the best behaved. It should never be a problem. From observation, young children are oblivious to naturism, it is the adults who take issue.

Steve

Edited: 27 July 2013, 10:45
Isle of Man, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuturists.

"young children are oblivious to naturism"

It all depends what you call young??

I don't think my 9 year old grandson and his 12 year old twin sisters would be oblivious to someone walking about naked.

manchester
Level Contributor
464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuturists.

Hi, we stayed in Sans Stefanos earlier this year (next resort to Arillas) as repeat visitors and we walked over to Arillas quite a few times mostly for lunch and yes we did see naturists on the main beach each time that we visited, both men and women, not sure if this was because they could not access their usual spot or not? Sans Stefanos also has an unofficial nudist section beneath the cliffs and during all our holidays they have never as you put it encroached onto the main beach. I agree in that 9 year olds and 12 year olds would not be oblivious to it., maybe younger children would though. Whilst we were having lunch overlooking the main beach we saw families with children packing up and moving away when the naturists turned up.

Maybe you could try Sans stefanos as an alternative, lovely sandy beach, brilliant child friendly taverna's and Greek dancing of an evening. A very safe and friendly resort.

Take a look at the resort @ ' virtual tour sans stefanos, bliss' and also visit the helpful and friendly dedicated forum @ ' Sans stefanos forum', hope that this is of some help to you.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 12:59
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuturists.

"young children are oblivious to naturism"

Maybe only if they are too young to talk!

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuturists.

From memory, I think that most children up to the age of six have open minds, after which they are progressively influenced by the opinions and advice of parents, teachers and employers. For example, a lot of money is spent training sales people as a result of the negative input they are exposed to between the ages of six and eighteen. From observation, many of the naturists at Ag Stefanos are themselves families, and it is good to see them interacting freely without any hang-ups. They seem to be extremely polite & well-balanced people and perhaps we should not impose our prejudices upon them in the perceived interests of a better society. We are lead to believe that we all have freedom of choice ... long may it continue.

Steve

Perachora, Greece
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuturists.

Adults walking about naked does not offend or excite me, however I can say that children pick up on the biases and preconceptions of adults.

No-one will win an argument against someone who is set in their own point of view, however if I may, I once assisted a local cub & scout group with an annual holiday. We mistakenly went looking for shells on an aptly named beach, only to be met by a naked couple walking the opposite way. Two minutes of oohs and leaders acting normally resulted in the children continuing with far more interesting beach combing. No further mention all holiday.

I would not take my children on a naturist holiday because that would be forcing the views of others on them, however, I would certainly not make an issue of them seeing (usually unattractive) naked torso' s.

Good parents will not hide children from the ugly sides of life, they will help prepare them for it, having a laugh at wrinkles on the beach may do just that.

Our user names are from our love of humour, perhaps you may have had preconceptions.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuturists.

I don't usually comment on Corfu forums but I feel I need to here...

My namesake Steve is (of course) correct - it's the attitude of the parents. Clearly the attitude here is

<<there is a problem with naturists encroaching onto the main beach in Arillas>>

well, if you think that is a problem, don't go there...

But that looks to me like your problem, not theirs...

I'm remembering the first time we took our (then) 4 y old to a naturist beach in Skiathos. I daresay that 10 years on, he wouldn't be happy doing that now, but that would be his choice.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 22:48
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuturists.

Hi julie_mcpro

I agree with you 100% there Steve. I don't see what the big deal is regardless of the childs age. If they're old enough to realise they're naked, they may feel awkward, have a giggle or whatever.

I would have no problem venturing off to that part of the beach or would i mind if people were to strip off on a regular beach. I like to go back home with a nice tan & fewer white bits as possible. I have never once actually thought of it as naturism, nor considered myself to be a naturist just because i'm happy to get my kit off when on holiday!

I think people need to be more relaxed and open minded, especially when around children.

If you want to sunbathe in a polar neck or a wetsuit, fine, but no need to judge or be offended by those who don't.

Try it, you might like it! haha

Rachel

:o)

Isle of Man, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuturists.

From what has been said on here, it would seem that some of the posters on here would not mind going naked on a family beach.

Might I remind you that Naturism is against the law in Greece, and is only allowed by a few resorts.

If this is the attitude of the naturists who visit Arillas then good look to them, because when the locals find that they are losing the bulk of their visitors because of the encroachment of these few people, they will soon have it stopped.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuturists.

We are all aware that naturism is against the law in Greece, as is walking dogs on the beach between May & October and wearing crash helmets on scooters. By & large, people here are tolerant, and it is wrong to imply that Corfu's beaches are thronged with nudists ... that is far from the case. To the more sensitive, one or two people can give entirely the wrong impression and thereby influence the actions of others. I once watched a man react to a naturist when a lady walked by with two children. The lady knew there were naturists on that particular beach and she made no attempt to hurry. However, the Englishman thought he knew better and had to intervene - he ranted at the naturist and then vociferously declared his opinion to the lady in front of her children. They looked bewildered and he probably coloured their judgement for life. When he and his wife left to go back to UK, they left the beach strewn with two weeks'-worth of dog-ends! I wonder which is the more offensive?

Steve

Get answers to your questions about Arillas
Recent Conversations