We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

Hi,

as the title says this will be our first time to Goa. We've been to Africa quite a few times and know not to expect luxury but that's what we like.

So much we need to know, but for now just the basics please....

How much is a visa (if I want to do it online direct with VFS), do we need anti-malarials and if so which ones, what other injections do we need?

2 others for now if you would be so kind - what price is a taxi from the airport to Cavelossim (Casa de Cris) and, the main one, what price is a beer on the beach!

Cheers

Karl.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

If you are staying at Casa Cris you have made a very good choice. Your doc will be best palced to advise on Jabs but you will need anti malaria pills. You won't need malarone (the expensive type).

A taxi from the airport to Cavelossim costs approx £9. The rates are set and advertised as you leave the airport. It takes about 45 mins to get to cavelossim. on the beach you will pay 80 rupees for a beer i.e. about £1.15 a pint

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

visas are £40 give or take a penny I always apply for a 6 month visa 5 and a half months before I return you will read on this forum people applying a month before they go then getting stressed when things go wrong give your self loads of time

If you are up to date with jabs for africa you will be all right for india but check with your nurse as some last longer than others

Paludrine & Avloclor are the pills mostly used 7 week course 126 pills but make a lot of people sick and can give bad dreams cost about £12.50 for a travel pack over the counter

Malarone is another 3 week course 23 pills no side effects but there is a down side need a private pescription cost £60 your choice

most cases of malaria in this country are caused buy not finishing the course

been to africa twice my self Kenya Gambia

Thought it was great until we went to goa

beer on the beach cant remember the exact price be cheap

2 sunbeds coke and beer all day 2 meals at dinner cost between £8-£10

at night 2 2course meals and drinks about £11

the people are totaly different in goa friendliest you will meet not openly out to scam you as soon as they see you like gambia

feel safe walking round at night

can sunbath on the beach unlike kenya

Just a better place

Edited: 12 February 2011, 10:08
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

thanks very much for the great info. We have a feeling Goa will become our destination for years to come. I completely agree with what you have said about Gambia and Kenya, but we have been to Gambia that many times now that we are well known and only get ripped off by our friends. When we let them! Can't wait for Goa!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

We've just arrived back from Cavelossim today and a taxi from the airport to Cavelossim is 690 rp. A large Kingfisher on the beach was usually 80 rp and a Kings 40 or 50.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

Went Goa for 1st time the year b4 last and simply loved it.

Flew into Mumbai and spent a few mad days looking around.

Elephant island is worth a look if u you that way [ ferrys leave from Gateway to india ] .

Goa was BRILLIANT !! was out there 2 and a half months and couldn't fault anything. Used Baga beach as my base and explored pretty much most of

Goa on a scooter rented to me for about a £1 a day !

enjoy your trip,

Bryan

6. Re: 1st timers - booked for Christmas - Loads of advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cavelossim
Recent Conversations