We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Hi,

Would be interested to visit the falls as a day trip through a taxi driver. Does anyone know how much this is likely to be from Cavelossim? It seems that most people combine the falls with the spice plantation and elephant ride but as we are planning to do the Jungle Book overnight trip which includes both of those I am just wondering if anyone can suggest something else we can fill the day out with? The things that would interest us to do would be stuff to do with wildlife, nature and local culture.... something different to daily UK city life.....

Thanks

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

We have only done this trip from the North, however, Im sure if you ask some of the taxi drivers for their suggestions, they will have some good ideas.

Susie.x

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

A taxi for the day (9am to 6pm) costs about 1800 Rps, just over £23 and you also have to pay for a 4X4 jeep to take you to the Dudhsager falls

Normally you stop at the spice plantation for lunch which is part of the entrance fee but If you don't want to do you that you could spend some time in Old Goa also have a look around Panjim or Margao but if you are coming this season I think you will need to put together your own day out with a taxi driver as the heat in April can be draining

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
332 posts
923 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

We went to the falls this time. Our taxi driver advised us the best day to go was a Sunday because the road to get there is one full of heavy lorries travelling to and from the mines and it is very hilly so the lorries get very slow and it can be a slow trip. He asked if he could pick us up early (from Candolim) at 7.30 just giving us time to grab a quick breakfast before we left. He got it spot on because we were through the city before it got busy and arrived at the falls as one of the first lots of jeeps going up.

We bought bananas to feed the monkeys before we got into the jeep and went on our way. There were a number of people up at the falls but it was not too busy - it was only when we were on the way back down in the jeep we realised how fortunate we had been to get there early. We were constantly having to pull over to allow jeeps going the opposite direction to get past. On our way up there we had thought it might have been a one way system because nothing came the other way! I can only imagine how busy it must have got up at the falls if we had been an hour later with all those jeeps heading up there. Also the monkeys were our best freinds (until we ran out of bananas!) but you could see they would fill up a puch in the cheeks with the food until they could take no more then return to the higher part of the trees to digest it properly. By the time we left all the monkey were high up in the trees tucking into their own personal store of food so I suspect as the day progresses they get less and less hungry?

It was an amazing trip though and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Although our taxi driver is based in Candolim (lives in Nerul) I can give you his number if you want to use him - he was expert at getting us to places at exactly the right time to get the best out of it! something you do not always realise until you speak to other people about their experience

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Hi Rachel, I've just had a look at the photo that I took of the taxi fares outside the Old Anchor and it's showing 1700 for a non airconditioned vehicle to the falls and 2200 for one with air conditioning. The cost to the falls and spice plantation is 2000 / 2600. You might be able to get this cheaper, I'd ask around the taxi drivers when you get there. We did the trip when we stayed in Candolim so it was quite a bit cheaper as the jeep was included in the tour price. I think the falls are well worth a visit if you've never been before and as you're going at the end of November there should be plenty of water. As you don't want to go to the spice plantation I'd probably combine it with Old Goa as welloutofit suggested.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
438 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Been to Dudhsagar Falls three times and would also recommend going in the morning, especially if you want to have fun feeding the monkeys.

This is because early/mid morning, they are hungry and eager for nuts and bananas, but by late morning, they've stuffed themselves silly and disappeared for a kip, so later visitors can be rather disappointed.

Darlington
Level Contributor
863 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Top tip- Don't forget to wear flat sensible shoes!

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

Thanks for all your replies, very useful as always!! I think it will be a morning trip then followed by some time in Old Goa.... ahhh just can't wait!! Are there plenty of banana sellers around the falls to feed the monkeys with?

Thanks,

Rach

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

I have another plan! Please tell me whether this seems do-able or not? ...

Set off early morning and go to the falls, then go to Old Goa, wander around a little bit and maybe grab some lunch, then (this is the new addition to the itinerary) - do the crocodile boat trip....?

Any thoughts? (:-o)

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

RWilson,

Ask the taxi driver to stop on route to the falls to buy some bananas. Once you get to the falls there are signs telling you NOT to feed the monkeys and asking you to hand over your banans before you get into the jeep...(no one appears to take any notice though!!)

Susie.x

Edited: 04 March 2012, 10:03
Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
438 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to the Dugsader Falls (sorry if incorrectly spelt!)

They are also very partial to cashew nuts.

Get answers to your questions about Cavelossim
Recent Conversations