We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

I am planning a trip to Cavelossim and have to choose between donna sylvia and holiday inn. Any suggestions please?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

The Dona Sylvia is an all inclusive hotel and is in the centre of the resort. I am not quite as mad about the beach in that area as there are too many beach shacks cheek by jowl for my liking, but plenty of others are quite happy with that. You may not spend all that much time on the beach anyway if you prefer pool lounging. You are also within a matter of a few minutes walk of the restaurants and knick knack shops (souvenir prices will be far higher than you'd pay in your home state!).Personally, I think the Holiday Inn is better located, set about 15 or 20 minutes walk south along the beach. There are about 5 or 6 beach shacks between the Holiday Inn and the Leela Kempinski, a nice quiet stretch of beach, about another 20 minutes stroll to the estuary of the River Sal. Of course, if you stay at the Holiday Inn, you'll probably end up getting taxis in the evening to the resort centre. If you stay at the Dona Sylvia, you may feel less inclined to try out the different restaurants (to be fair, the menus are very similar at most of the resort restaurants, ambience will be quite different though).

Whichever you choose, enjoy your holiday.

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

Thanks londonraffles. I'm getting AI packages at both DS and HI though DS at a cheaper rate. How would u compare the two with respect to ambience, service, overall stay. This would help me to finalise. Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

I'd probably go for the Holiday Inn just for its beach location and for the reputation of the chain, especially since you are getting an inclusive deal and the bar and restaurant prices are on the high side there. However, I must stress that I have never stayed in either of those particular hotels. The Doña Sylvia is an entirely all-inclusive hotel and does not allow non-resident visitors on site. However, we have eaten at restaurants at the Holiday Inn, have had drinks there and i I have had my hair cut there, it also has an exceptionally good quality jewellery shop on site, classy stock, very expensive, good stones, staffs who encourage browsing and 'playing' with the stock, happy to impart their knowledge too! Gemma1, a destination expert for Goa, always raves about the cakes at the coffee shop too, unlikely to be included as part of the all-inclusive package, but nice for a holiday treat. Not perhaps to the standard of the cakes in, say, Theobroma in Colaba Causeway or Bandra, but very good for Goa!

Enjoy your visit there. I love Bombay so much that I now almost look as forward to 3 days there, tagged onto a Goa trip, as much as I do to Goa itself!

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

Thanks . Would give u review after our visit of either two places.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

The Holiday Inn gets my vote :-)

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

In my opinion the holiday inn is far better than the DS better beach nicer hotel great staff but a little more expensive than DS .

Derby
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

Have Stayed at both of these hotels in the last 5 years and would swing towards the DS if all inclusive is your thing.They are both good standard hotels but the Holiday Inn has less in the way of in house eating options and are less inclined to replenish when its gone.Rated the oriental restaurant til visit in 2012 when the quality had need nose dived.Location at the DS is actually very good and if its too busy for you a 10 minute ramble to the Lonely planet shack should chill you out nicely.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,708 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

Out of the two I've only stayed at the Holiday Inn, though on b&b. Never ate there on an evening as 1) it's expensive & 2) we like to eat out at different restaurants in the village. As LR said I am a fan of the HI cake shop & like to get my cake fix ;-)

Personally I love the location of the HI & even though we now stay at a guest house in Cavelossim village we often walk down the beach & use the shacks outside the HI as we prefer that section of the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

I thought the HI stopped A/I a couple of years ago? Who are you booking this with?

10. Re: Donna Sylvia versus Holiday Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Cavelossim
Recent Conversations