We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

Halifax UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

For the past 10/15 years I have always used ATM's when abroad but there appears to be strong leaning on this forum to using cash/TC's in Goa. Is there a particular reason for this as I have always been against carrying too much cash and haven't used TC's for as long as I can remember?

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

Yorkshire a lot are using this card ,,and take t/ checks u get nearly the same as cash for them. icicibank.co.uk/personal/travel_rupee_card/t…

cash is good if u got a safe place to keep it,,bye

Edited: 14 January 2014, 10:24
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

We take a mixture of cash, TC's and Debit card. All of which are fine in Goa but TC's and Debit card option is the most secure. You get the best exchange value for cash. TC's tend to cost around 2% (1% to buy and usually get a rupee less exchange rate. Our Debit card now costs around 3.5%( often get a better exchange rate reducing cost to 2.5%). Hope this helps.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

trave /checks we got free no com,,from our post office,2 years ago,,maybe diff now,,and if there nicked u get a refund,,with cash when its gone its gone,,yorki,,lol, wont be long now yorki,,I see the rups going down slowly,,lol,

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

Post Office charge 1% commission on sterling Travellers Cheques which is cheaper than using a debit card in an ATM

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

I must have got them on a good day red,,but she did say how much u want and it was a lot had to pay for the room ect,,this was for turkey,,got there 3 p/cent to cash them in,,so used the hole in the wall in stead lol,,,diff in goa less commission charged ...bye

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

If you're staying in Cavelossim there aren't many ATMs (there was only 1 last February) so I wouldn't rely solely on using your debit card. I always take TCs to Goa, though it's the only place I use them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

I used to take both TC's and cash but now just take cash.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

Give over trying to cheer me up Bazz with that exchange rate.With only 10 more sleeps left before we go, I don't think any thing could upset me now..lol

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

And another thing Bazz I forgot to tell you , CAA emailed yesterday and they have told Thomas Cook to pay compensation for 6 hour delay we had from Dalaman in 2012. That will help with mi next years Goa flights.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM v Cash or Travellers Cheques

no probs yorki,,,it went back UP in the afternoon, lol,,,u,,know I changes morning and afternoon or can do,, how much u get back then,,

Get answers to your questions about Cavelossim
Recent Conversations