We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Which Skiathos Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hi to anyone out ther who could give me advice, I am 54 years young but am not an old fogey, I have been to Rhodes & Cyprus before & loved them both but was considering another Greek Island. Where is suitable for a single female on any of the aforementioned Islands? Any tips suggestions welcome. I am on a bit of a tight budget. thankyou in anticipation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hey and welcome princessCentral:-) I don't think either would disappoint..it depends upon your interests/expectations! You don't mention 'when' you are going, since Santorini can get pretty pricey in Season when accommodations become more limited...if you're into beaches, Skiathos would certainly fit the bill..it's a small isle like Santorini..w/a local bus run from one end of the isle to the other in about 30 min so easily maneuverable and convenient..Santorini as well has a good bus system coverning the isle to various villages/beaches..certainly unique in that's it's a volcanic isle..hence the incredible views and although many pack the beaches there, take note they are not your typical idyllic sand ones here..more black ash/grit reflecting the isle itself! Would certainly read up on both and see which you think would best suit you! I've been to both..solo..different experiences..had a wonderful time at both and enjoyed!

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hi, i have just returned from Skiathos with my wife and daughter, and whilst we were there we mentioned just how safe and unthreatening the town indeed the island is, i would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Skiathos to my widowed mum and know she would be safe and happy there.

As mentioned previously the bus route is perfect for getting around the island, we returned from Skiathos town to Koukanaries at 0030 hrs and all on the bus was people enjoying them selves and locals youngsters talking

and laughing, what a culture change from Manchester Buses at that time of the morning.

My wife who i must add is a very nervous person would even go there alone, and as someone who has travelled quite extensively in Europe that is quite a statement form her. What ever you decide i wish you a happy time.

Wigan
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hi I am going to skiathos in a weeks time ,but I have been to Santorini 3 years running.It is the most stunning of the greek islands. I would stay near the town Thira ,Kalamara is nice also but a little more commercial. .The island is small and Oia at the top is the most breath taking ,but you need to go on a trip or hire a car to get to it.

I would go there every year and feel very safe .We stayed at the Majestic hotel.Santorini can be quite pricey.Fab mexican resturant near the Majestic hotel.

Small airport but good flight times and we have never been delayed.

I will see how skiathos is in comparrison in August, but Santorini is the jewel of the Argean for me

christinaanne068
Level Contributor
79 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hi

I may be too late with my reply for this year but here it is anyway.

I am a similar age to you and like the other reply you have had, I too have said that I would feel completely safe going on my own to Skiathos. We have been there five times, the most recent in June this year and would have no hesitation in recommending it. There is a huge choice of beaches and it is easy to get around the island. It is completely unthreatening and all the people are friendly and welcoming without being "in your face".

I have visited Santorini for the day (so limited knowledge) on a boat trip from Crete and whilst it was beautiful (in a different way to Skiathos), it was very crowded, very steep (obviously) and too busy for me. I was happy being there for just the day and wouldn't feel the need to spend an entire holiday there. I seem to remember there was a cable car to take you to the beach so if beaches are your thing I would certainly choose Skiathos.

Hope this helps but if you have any more questions please ask.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Santorini is a beutiful island, no doubt about it, but for me it would be Skiathos everytime, it is so easy to holiday there, I was talking to a lady last year who was alone for a week... Shwe had come for some relaxation after a wedding I believe, and she said she never felt alone or lonely, honestly its that sort of place, try it and I bet you will love it.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Hi i am also a widow and aged 55,i have been to Skiathos 4 times.I went with a friend but would not hesitate to go on my own.It is a lovely island i feel i am going home when i arrive there.Everyone is so friendly the beaches are fantastic,you can have lovely walks, there are so many places to eat you cant go wrong.

My friend booked us in again for 2011 yesterday:)

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

Skiathos is perfect for you , easy to get around and a lovely ambiance in the harbour and boutzi area ...dont be nervous of being adventurous either , take a day trip to Skopelos , such fun on the ferry .

I would also recommend The Paradise hotel .Costas and Demitri would be sure to look after you . A very safe holiday destination ....go !!!

Portsmouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

I too am widowed (slightly younger) and have been to Skiathos 10 times.  I would have no hesitation in going there either alone or just with my young daughter.  We always stay at the Troulos Bay Hotel which is lovely and right on the beach.  I have never felt uncomfortable or worried any time I have visited and love it so much I am going back again next year. 

9. Re: holiday to either Skiathos or Santorini for widow aged 54

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:19