We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

Hi, my boyfriend and I have booked a week in Skiathos in mid-June, and he is keen to explore some of the more off the beaten track beaches without a few hundred sunloungers back to back! Just wondering if anyone can recommend a couple, we are staying at the Paradise Hotel in Katsarou nr Skiathos Town. Would it be better to go into the Town and get water taxis, hire a boat or hire a car (I'm not over-keen on this idea as I will be the one driving lol).

Also, what are the prices for food/drink like in Skiathos Town? We stayed in Paphos Cyprus last year which we did find to be quite expensive (about £5-£7 for a vodka and coke).

And does anyone know when the open air cinema will open? I've always wanted to go to one!!

Thanks, Rachel.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Katsarou
Katsarou
Skiathos, Greece
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Durham
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

Rachel, you've made a great choice with the Hotel Paradise. The hotel bus will drop you at bus stop 4 just after 10am each morning and from there you can visit most of the islands beaches. In mid June none will be too packed other than maybe Koukanaries on a weekend.

For the quiter beaches you need to visit the North coast. You could walk from the hotel over the top to Tanzaneira(sp) beach, Kostas will direct you.

A couple of great quiet beaches are the ones at Mandraki. Wg go there by car but you can get the bus to either bus stop 23 or 24 then walk inland thro' the pine trees to these two beaches, believe it takes half an hour from the bus stop.

Again if you get the hotel bus, ask to be dropped off at the bottom of the hill at the main road and you can walk across the road and down to Vasilias beach which is quiet and has a taverna.

Kostas can pick you up from where he dropped you at about 3.40pm.

We go to Hotel Paradise every June and also go to Cyprus every year as our daughter lives there. Skiathos is cheaper than Cyprus.

Enjoy Gary

Edited: 14 April 2011, 13:17
Mentioned in this post
Vasilias
Vasilias
Skiathos, Greece
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
london
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

Rachel, Gary 73 is correct you made a good choice about Hotel Paradise Kostas the owner is a very helpfull guy. The hotel has nice view but it is up a very steep hill far away from the main road,and nothing around the hotel. The hotel bus they have is nice to go to the town at night if you want to have a drink but thats all, or at least me knowing Skiathos island well and where Paradise hotel is located i wouldnt rely on the hotel bus for transportation.

As i said before Gary 73 is very correct in what he said unless you dont love walking on very steep hills in high temparature (no pavements on the main road)

Skiathos has a lot of nice quiet beaches and if you want my opinion you need a 4wd to explore them some of them are Krifi amos, mandraki, Elias beach, Kehria and Kehria small Paradise, Small aselinos,Kastro etc. Its not possible to see these places by bus or by foot

Dont worry about driving because it will not be for long distances. Skiathos is a small island with many places to explore(about 68 beaches). The longest trip you can do is 30 minutes from one side to the other driving slow enjoying your ride, by taxi the same distance is not more than 15 minutes

If you want i can recommend you car hire companies to rent a car at a very good price and perfect service

Skiathos is called the "boomerang" island because people do go back again,I even bought a house, It is a lovely place and i believe you will have great time

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

It is possible to vist Mandraki and Elias by foot just get off the bus at either stop 23or 24 and walk throught the beautiful pine forest which will then take you to there gorgeous beaches.

4. Re: Skiathos in June - which beaches to visit??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town
Recent Conversations