We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Research for next year's holiday.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Research for next year's holiday.

Hi I would just like some advice please.

We normally go to Kalamaki in Zante but My wife wants to try somewhere different for next year's holiday and someone has mentioned Skiathos to me, so I am hoping that I could get some advice & info please.

We are a family with 2 small children so we are not looking for somewhere like Laganas, (Party towns etc) I'm hoping for somewhere where there are plenty of trips we can book locally, to eat out and just enjoy at a nice relaxed pace. also we need somwhere that is wheelchair friendly for our older son.

All info welcome even if somewhere else is suggested.

Many thanks

Melton Mowbray
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Hi John,

We went to Zante three times and switched to Skopelos and we were hooked. It is quite a challenge to get to (Flying Cat from Skiathos) but highly recommended if you like simplicity, beauty and silence. Watch this video that was posted on the skopelosnews blog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmkAfvXoYfI

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Thank you all for your responses. I think we have our decision for now. My wife has ruled Skiathos out in favour of either Crete or Rhodes. As some of you have mentioned that Skiathos is quite small and hilly so once the boat trips had been exhausted, we may well struggle to find much else to do especiially with the wheelchair which is a shame really because I did fancy it.

If anyone has been to Crete or Rhodes I would still welcome your views on boat/coach trips & places to eat & drink if possible please.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Hi John,

Might be a good idea to re-post the question on the Crete/Rhodes forums it will then be picked up by the relevant D/E.

Good luck

Stu

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

John - Just to say we went to Lindos (Lindos Mare Hotel, Rhodes) and this is NOT wheelchair friendly, likewise Lindo Blu Hotel (both set on hillside leading down to lovely beach - Vlicha Bay). They are just round the corner from Lindos itself BUT you need a taxi to get there too. Re Rhodes town, yes its flat, but I dont know where/how far the actual beach is and we found it extremely hot there from early July, unlike Kalamaki which is perfect temperature then. So the other lady who recommended Rhodes town to you may be able to select a good hotel for you there..... which is near the town beach but also near the main part of town perhaps. Only been to Hersonissos in Crete & I remember it v spread out and some beaches not so wheelchair friendly, so perhaps the other lady can help you out further??

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Hi john we have been to kalamaki and skiathos liked both the last 2years been to tingaki in kos very nice resort bit the same as kalamaki as i rember. About 7 years since went ti kalamaki. tingaki has one main street great tavernas nice and peace full a few shops a great beach very flat resort loads of excursions great local travel agent in the main st. Kos town about 20mins on the local bus 2euros i think, or taxi about 10mins nice in the town but beach not very nice tingaki beach great for a wheel chair you can get a boat trip to turkey for a day i havnt done that thought. or take a trip on coach to a greek village to zia Takes about 20mis and have a nice meal there they do a night of greek dancing up there food and drink included in the price book in the main st again hope all this helps . Any more i can help you with apartments ? Hops this helps . Karen

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

John I agree with dencatLondon about Lindos. Its a fantastic place but to get to any of the 3 beeches with a pram would be very hard going. We were there in the first week of September and the day temps were 37 - 40 C. In Crete I've only stayed in Elounda at a place called the Elounda Hieghts, as the name suggests up a very steep hill. The centre was flat as you go out to Plaka with easy access to the beach.

Phil

London
Level Contributor
801 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Hi John - Was just about to suggest Tingaki on Kos for you and mort8 has beat me to it!

I've been to Rhodes, Crete, Skiathos and Kalamaki on Zante as well as other islands, but would highly recommend Tingaki for your family holiday needs. As mort said earlier - it's very flat with a lovely beach and many tavernas and bars. If you like Kalamaki then I think you would like Tingaki too. It's so flat that the hire of bicycles is very common there (yes we hired bikes too!) and something we've never indulged in before in Greece lol

Hope this helps.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 23:55
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

Thank you all very much, this all helps. I have never been anywhere that I thought I would like as much as I Like Greece. I have to say that despite all the troubles the country has, every time I have been to Kalamaki I have had nothing but a fantastic warm welcome for me & my family so this is why I like everyone else keeps going back. As I say I am researching for one of the other Islands that is reasonably flat for the lad's wheelchair but with leisurely trips & eating out too

29. Re: Research for next year's holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 09:25
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town