We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tomato Hotel??

Chester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tomato Hotel??

Hi all,

I'm thinking of going to Skiathos this year (first time), I have just been looking at what I think is a new hotel - the Tomato Hotel. It appears to be owned by the group who own various hotels one of them being La Piscine Art hotel. I'm just wondering does anyone know where this is in relation to town (Google maps says about 1km away, however it also shows that it's near to Kassandra Bay which I thought was a little further away than that?)

The hotel is coming up quite cheap in comparison to other hotels in and around Skiathos town - does anyone know anything about it? I'm dubious to book something that has no reviews yet! (My other hotel preferences would be Bourtzi or Kassandra Bay). Your thoughts and opinions on whether or not the Tomato Hotel would be worth a punt for are most appreciated.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Do you have any links for us re the Tomato Hotel?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tomato Hotel??

If you look at the pics on here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189499-d5240…

on one of them I think you can see quite a bit of the Pounta, with town in the foreground, and a small island (?Maragos) in between as well. So, as long as these are real photos, not just an artist's impression, then I think that makes it at the far end of Megali Ammos - as lyndsey suggests.

But I bet SL1 knows exactly where it is!

Photos are dated Nov 2013, so I guess no-one has stayed yet.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 14:38
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Thanks for the link Steve. I don't think it is the Pounta, I think it is Plakes which would mean the hotel is in Megali Ammos as you say, the approx 1km distance to Town is most likely correct.

For the OP, if you have got a good deal which you are happy with then go for it. The other two hotels you mention are very different to each other, the Bourtzi being right in town with limited outdoor areas and the Kassandra with ample outdoor space including its own beach with a water taxi which takes you into town.

If, as you say, this is a new hotel it might be some time before any reviews are posted. Is the distance from town something that bothers you and which month are thinking of going?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tomato Hotel??

It looks as though it's close to simplyjules favorite Angelika at Megali Ammos. Must admit don't remember seeing it when we have drove by, probably taking in the gorgeous scenery!!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Its appeared in the inbox a few times lately ...

skiathoshoteltomato.gr/en/hotel_skiathos.html

Same people as the Piscine art hotel in town.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 15:37
Chester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm thinking of going mid July.

It's not so much the distance to town that bothers me, it's a few things: 1) the lack of a pool, although they have advised you can use facilities at Piscine Art. 2) it's new, and that makes me dubious! I'd like to know I was staying somewhere I know I'd like from the off, rather than chancing it! It was purely price that was swaying it for me. (I think I may have just answered my original question there anyway! ;0) )

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tomato Hotel??

MrsW, sorry, I couldn't remember the name of that area of town - Plakes yes, that's it (the bit past the medical centre and down to the headland.) But isn't it the Pounta behind it in the distance? In which case if you draw a line from there, I think lyndsey's supposition that it's at the far end of Megali Ammos, quite near Achladies, is more likely to be right. 1km to town is a bit optimistic - maybe 1km (just) to bus stop 4 but almost 2km to the centre.

SL1, is it a brand new hotel or one which has been re-named after a refurb?

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Its been refurbished according to the site. The cruise liner 'The World' is in the photo so that was taken late August last year. The headland you can see that you think is Pounta, beyond Plakes, actually is Arkos island.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tomato Hotel??

Cheers SL1.

In that case it's probably more like in the middle of Megali Ammos, and not as far to town. Mind you, I think lyndsey has talked herself out of it anyway :)

It looks nice, but I'm surprised it hasn't got a pool - even though it's so close to the beach.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tomato Hotel??

If it has been refurbished has it also been renamed? Why would you call a hotel Tomato?

Was The World in MegAm bay twice last year, it was late September when I saw it there.

We could start a foodie story, "Staying at the Tomato Hotel, going for supper at Salt n Pepper and calling at Mythos for a drink later...

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town