We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport/Aircraft Noise

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Airport/Aircraft Noise

We're thinking of visiting Skiathos for the first time next year staying in town.

The only thing making me hesitate at the moment is the close proximity of the airport. I'm not sure how many daily flights Skiathos gets but my wife is a very nervous flyer and hates planes so being close to noisy jets coming and going would be enough to spoil her holiday. Are they particularly noticeable or is she worrying about nothing, please don't say she'll hardly notice it after a day or two - believe me she would!

The other alternative of course is to stay elsewhere on the island however town would be preferable, as long as it doesn't result in me being in the doghouse for booking somewhere next to an airport of course!

I'd appreciate any reassurances (or not as the case may be).

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Skiathos town is around a mile from the airport. There is very little noise from landing aircraft, and a rumble when the aircraft power up, to depart in normal conditions.

Sometimes the aircraft arrive on the northerly runway, and depart to the south over the harbour. After departure they turn left towards Skopelos. In this instance there will be aircraft noise if you are in town - 15 seconds or so. Skiathos does not operate night flights, the airport is seldom open after 21:00hrs - even on the busiest days - Friday and Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,639 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

I always stay in town, many times over the years.

The steep hill just behind the ferry port is a major feature shielding the airport approach path.

Therefore accommodation west of that hill would suit you better.

crewe
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

We stay at kostas and Mary hotel in town no problem with aircraft noise you will love skiathos you will have no worries where ever you book .

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Which accommodation are you looking to book? If it helps, the planes come in to land/take off over the sea not the actual town.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

For the last three years we have stayed at the Stellina which is on the road from the airport and have never been bothered with the noise and is far enough away from the runway. In fact we are returning to this hotel in August. We are also staying at the Kostas & Mary which is just a short walk from the Stellina in June. The noise you hear is as SkiathosLover1 as described.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Stellina
Hotel Stellina
119 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

This may help put it in a bit of context:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airp…

so, less than almost all of the other regular international flight islands.

Last May I discovered it was closed for part of the day, several days a week.

I think RH gives good advice above. Soewhere at the back of town near the ring road/Carrefour would probably suit.

I don't know whether you are looking to go to a beach near town, but there is no doubt that you can see the planes coming in to land from Megali Ammos, even if they are pretty few and far between:

http://tinyurl.com/q56gw7g

You probably wouldn't be aware of any aircraft at all from the beaches at the far end of the island.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 16:26
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Nothing quite like the sound of two Rolls Royce RB211's on full power, as a 757 departs over the harbour ...

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Thanks guys, you've set my mind at rest. Skiathos Town it is :-)

We've not really looked at any accomadation yet so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Hi

What are your requirements regarding accommodation ie whether you require a pool, close to a beach, s/c or B&B etc.

Sue

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport/Aircraft Noise

Accommodation requirements would be S/C preferably (but B&B would be ok) with a pool, don't mind a walk into town or to a beach as long as it's not more than 20 mins or so.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town