We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips and car hire advice

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trips and car hire advice

We're hoping to stay at Bay Hotel in August. Can anyone advise on good boat trips to go on with rough prices? Also is it easy to rent a car when there as all reports seem to suggest it's very remote so wondered if we'll need to per-book? Thx

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

I always prebook and pick up at the airport. I think the nearest company to the Bay hotel is Joannas, she runs a small well stocked shop, has villas and offers boat trips that go from Porto Roma just up the road. As it's a small concern her car rental prices may not be the cheapest. I've stayed in Vasilikos many times (about 3km from the Bay) and wouldn't dream of not having a car unless you just want to site on the beach in front of your hotel. This map will give you an idea of whats in the area - http://goo.gl/maps/53PXy

Phil

England
Level Contributor
480 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

The best boat trip to go on is Marios which you can book through Mais Supermarket. It is a day trip costing last year, if memory serves, 42 Euros. It is worth every penny. You will visit The Blue Caves, see turtles, have several swim stops. Marios is a mine of information about the turtles. You can be picked up and taken back to your hotel as part of the service offered.

Would definitely recommend getting a car. Although Vassilikos is beautiful you can get out and explore the rest of the island, or even just try more of what Vassilikos has to offer, other beaches, great tavernas, as the village is spread out along several kilometres.

Joannas Rentals at Mais is the best place locally they will be able to give you her number at the Bay Hotel. Would suggest pre booking if only by a few days.

Please ask if you would like to know anything else.

Enjoy your holiday.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Thanks for your advice - sounds great - really helpful posts thank you. Do you happen to know how far it is to walk from The Bay to the centre of Vasilikos for those times that we want to have a few beers? Also are there any places to visit that might appeal to our 15 yr old shopaholic daughter. Thx

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
262 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

I stayed at the Bay 2 years ago. To walk from the hotel to the center of Vasilikos it's only around 50-100 meters. You're right in the middle of it. There are a few tavernas and a few tourist souvenir shops in Vasilikos, not much else. For a shopaholic, take your daughter into the city center. It's a lovely little city, nice to walk around and enjoy some decent souvlaki/gyros and do a bit of shopping.

I highly recommend renting a car simply so that you can discover other parts of the island (Gerakas beach, Dafni beach, Porto Limnionas beach, etc...) and you can also drive to tavernas like Galinis, Babbis, Agnadi, Nikos for dinner. These are excellent places for a meal and I do it by car. Far more reasonable than getting a taxi each time.

If Joanna doesn't have any cars available, right outside the hotel in Vasilikos there is Potamia rentals. I've rented from them 2 years in a row and they're efficient and reasonable.

At the Bay, when you get to the beach, walk right along the beach to the second snack bar called Vrahos. It's run by Kostas & Galatheia and they are lovely people. I spend most of my days at their beach, chilling out, cold beers, nice cocktails, great snacks and a lovely setting. Tell them Ronnie sent you!

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Thanks for that info - really helpful. Somewhere I had read that the resort was very spread out and that it was 3KM from the hotel which was a little worrying! I've been following your threads and have found them really useful - thank you.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Hi nadiaSharm. Its about 200m into the very small hamlet where you will find a few bars and small shops. To get Vasilikos you have to go up the long hill for 0.75Km then follow the main road for another 1 Km, so a total of 1.75Km. As Smoke_Trees says a car is useful (I say essential) and there are lots of good eating places around. The only shopping (it's not that good) is in Zakynthos town and there only used to be 2 or 3 buses a day. This Google map shows the hotel in its little hamlet and the main eating places and village etc. Google Earth and Google maps now also have Street View. You can also get a sort of "street view" on this site - http://www.justzante.co.uk/

Map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Edited: 16 June 2014, 13:23
England
Level Contributor
480 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

There are a lot of new businesses opened in town this year,after a couple of years of many closures.Your daughter will be able to fill all her shopoholic wishes!

As Whitcop says you need to go up to the main road to go into the village. Turn right to go down to a few shops and tavernas, The Coffee House is good for breakfast and lively in the evening. There is a new taverna this year, Athenas Kitchen.

If you turn left at the junction you come to the very spread out area of the village, you will find more tavernas here, Babbis, Lithes, Gallini, and several down by Gerakas, try Triodi if you go that far.

Just next to the Bay Hotel is Plaka Beach Taverna.

Enjoy your holiday.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Hi Saganaki13. What are the 2 beach bars / buildings on Banana beach just down from the Bay hotel? If you can identify them I will up date the map.

Thanks

Phil

England
Level Contributor
480 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Next to Vrahos is Punta Basta. Then The Bay. Will check out the others later. Can't remember the order offhand!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
262 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trips and car hire advice

Punta Basta, Vrahos & Plaka in that order right after Bay when going east.

I can't remember the other way towards and past Banana beach! All I can remember is one of them was Ionio but it's a little distance away from the Bay...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

I'll have to check when I get there!

Get answers to your questions about Vasilikos
Recent Conversations