We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makryammos Hotel

Which Thassos Town (Limenas) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Makryammos Hotel

Hello, we are staying at the Makryammos Hotel for two weeks in September. Can anyone tell me what it's like for walking to Limenas town? . From Google Earth it looks as though you walk down the side of a main road but it's difficult to tell. Thank you.

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
669 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makryammos Hotel

Hi Badge,

I have to say it was over 10 years since we stayed at Makryammos...it's a fantastic beach and we had a brilliant time there and in Thassos.

The accommodation at that time (and given it's Greece I doubt if it's changed much) is spread down from the entrance at the top of the hill to the beach, (if you're lucky, and we were!). A walk to Limenas would mean up to the top of the hill entrance and then down on a looping road (hairpin is probably an exaggeration) to descend the hill to Limenas. I would say it's probably a half hour walk and is, as you say, along the main road, through woods on the hillside. This is (was) unlit so I wouldn't recommend it late. It is possible that by now there is a boat-taxi as it's not far by sea....otherwise I would suggest either taxi's both ways or at least the return.

Malton, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makryammos Hotel

The escape route from the German prison of war camp of makryammos cannot be described as a main road as it really only goes to the camp,after this it turns into an old quarry road.The road is tarmac but with no footpaths,once you have climbed up to the manned check-point it is a pleasant hike down hill past the music venue of romantica hearing the nightingales sing and the odd dog barking from the smallholdings in the forest.the only real traffic you see is the odd bus bringing new detainees and the people who have had sense to hire a car to escape.in less than 30 minutes you will come to a new supermarket on your left and further old ruins on your right, turning right will bring you to civilization of thassos town. Everybody seems to enjoy the brilliant beach at makryammos with its rows of regimented sun beds but I personally enjoy the character of the town.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makryammos Hotel

Thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to making use of the water taxis and will be sure to follow your advise and only attempt to walk into town during the day.

4. Re: Makryammos Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Thassos Town (Limenas)
Recent Conversations
More Thassos Town (Limenas) Topics