We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from airport to Fiscardo

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from airport to Fiscardo

When I Google (or AA Route Planner) it shows the route from the airport to Fiscardo as turning right at Divarata and looping round to the west. But the shortest route (to me, looking at the map) looks like straight on at Divarata.

Any suggestions please?

29 replies to this topic
Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

We followed the coast road to get to fiscardo, at the crossroads in divarata we turned left to continue on the coast road if that makes sense! I think google still takes you on the diversion from where they were working on the new road but it's open now. It took us just over an hour.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,131 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Hi,

Yes,

Google is rubbish on the island. They also think the coast road from Poros to Skala is closed but it was only closed for a few days about five years ago.

There are two alternative routes for exploring later in your holiday. The East coast route via Komitata to Agia Efimia has some great views of Ithaca. The mountain road from Karya to Divarata that was asphalted as a diversion whist the proper road was being repaired has some great mountain views.

Bob

Glasgow
Level Contributor
657 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

good luck with this drive !!!!

I hope it is during the day ....

Stunning drive but I would not like to be doing it after dark on a first visit.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

We're due to land at about lunchtime so will be daylight. Don't think I'd even consider it at night!

Especially as it's my first time on the island and will be the first time I've driven on the right for about 13 or 14 years!

I'm hoping my Garmin SatNav will work and help me too.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,131 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Hi again,

My Garmin satnav has full European coverage which means Greece and therefore Kefalonia is on it.

However it often does not recognise towns written in English and I cannot work out how to write in Greek! The only reason I take it is to set it to show map so I can see hairpin bends coming up at night.

All rental cars come with a map of the island good enough for a first visit.

If you want a turn by turn route from airport to Fiscardo then let me know. I have it as a word document and it takes no tme to copy and paste.

A few things you need to know about driving on the island.

1. Roundabouts. The opposite to the UK. You give way to those joining the roundabout not those already on it. It does mean you still look to the right and give way to those. One good thing is there are only about 4 roundabouts on the island.

2. Goats. Lots on the island and they lie around on the roads, often just round a bend.

3. Rain. When it is raining, or even after if the roads are still wet, they get ever so slippery.

Useful link here

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

Bob

Glasgow
Level Contributor
657 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

1. Roundabouts. The opposite to the UK. You give way to those joining the roundabout not those already on it. It does mean you still look to the right and give way to those. One good thing is there are only about 4 roundabouts on the island.

Well I didn't know that.

It happened once to us where a car stopped to let us on even though he was already on it and to our left.

I thought he was just another daft tourist like myself LOL.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Thank you for the information, especially the roundabout bit, I wouldn't have even thought about!

Bob, if it's not too much trouble I would like a copy of your turn by turn route please

Just checked out the goinggreek link, very useful

I've only posted a few things on this forum and I'm so impressed and grateful to receive the knowledge of others and so quickly too.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,131 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Hi,

I have sent you a personal message with the route.

In case you don't know how to access the message, you should get an email telling you you have a message in your personal page. Failing that just go to your page and look for messages. Sorry if you know all this.

Bob

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Excellent, thank you Bob - I now have the detailed route

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from airport to Fiscardo

Hi

We have booked Fiskardo next year and will be driving. How was the route you took?

Thanks

Deb

Reply to: Driving from airport to Fiscardo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fiscardo
Recent Conversations