We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

We are going from Argostoli airport to Fiskardo by hire car in a couple of weeks. I've read the old blogs re road issues. We would like scenic but non hazardous first drive in new car so what would you recommend - Bob in particular but anyone who knows island well please - some cultural/ culinary delights en route always appreciated...

Thanks

Heather

4 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

Hi Heather,

There are basically two routes, neither of which are particularly hazardous. The original route wound round the mountain and has a steep drop on the left. However there are barriers almost all the way, the road is wide enough for two coaches to pass each other and going TO Fiscardo you are on the inside all the way.There are however some people who are a bit worried about this road especially on the first day. The alternative route was only completed some 8-10 years go and goes through the mountain on a new wide road that, in the mountains is almost wide enough to be a dual carriageway.

The original road has great views across to another part of the island. The new road has its own stark beauty. On both routes look out for goats wandering or asleep! I will send you a personal message with a turn by turn route giving both options.

Bob

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

Hi again,

The rule for roundabouts is different in Greece. You basically give way to traffic entering the roundabout when you are on it. There are only 4 roundabouts on the whole island and on your journey you only encounter one.

Bob

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

Hi Bob

Thank you so much for this it is a real help. Is it easy to reverse your directions for return journey? I assume the map I have which is one you recommended in an earlier post is not so easy to follow in reality?! Some posts say Google maps works but I dont like to rely on it after an adventurous friend of ours and his long suffering wife relied on it for a motor cycle road trip around Morocco only to find it didnt work and he had no map on him either! Whatever did we all do before Trip Advisor?

Best wishes

Heather

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please

Hi Heather,

The Anavasi map I find as easy to use as a British Ordnance Survey map. The return route is fairly easy and when you have passed the traffic lights and gone round the lagoon, you take first exit from the roundabout and from then onwards there are signs to the airport.

Google map is fine except that if a road is closed and then reopened a few days later google is sometimes very slow to react. A road in the South of the island was closed for a week in winter for some roadworks about 4 years ago and Google still had it closed some 2 years later.

Bob

Reply to: Roads from airport to Fiskardo - Advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fiscardo
Recent Conversations