We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fiskardo - local bus service ???

Which Fiscardo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
fiskardo - local bus service ???

hi, we are holidaying in fiskardo in the summer after a great deal of research about where to be based in Kefalonia. Is it serviced by any local buses round the island and is there a cab service, we obviously want to visit as much of the island as possible, not too sure whether to hire a car at this point in time, is there a car hire dealership in the area. (we are arriving by sea) We will be there for two weeks.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,978 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Fiskardo is not a very good base for Kefalonia, dirty pebble/shingle/stoney beaches and poor transport. There is about 2 daily buses to Argostoli - de facto standard timings, early morning and afternoon. Villages always have a 'resident' taxi.

Argostoli/Lassi is central to the island and also the best and cleaner beaches. Nea Skala in the SE a good second choice a purpose built place but at least it's village like.

So if you stay in Fiskardo it does mean a hire car and wasted time getting to other areas of the island. It has it's fans sure, but mainstream appeal is decidedly lacking.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Hmmm!

We've visited almost every beach in the Fiscardo area in the last week or so and believe me they have been spotlessly clean and the sea perfectly clear and clean, lots of folks swimming. There was a problem a few years ago when some oil/tar was washed up on the northwest tip but we've seen nothing since.

Nowhere is more than about an hour//hour and qtr away, different routes south with good roads and great views.

2 car hire companies, Pama travel and Litsos. Pama are based up the stairs next door to Captains Cabin, they serve primarily Ionian Island holidays. Litsos have an office above their restaurant - Roulas and below the family home just outside the village and before the hill leading to the Emelisse and Almyra Hotels.

Have a great time, you'll love it!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Hi Julie,

Fiscardo is not my favourite place but I cannot disagree with fiscardofan on the beaches etc. I was there two weeks ago and the beaches were perfect although the sea was a little on the cool side.

If you are arriving by sea into Fiscardo then go with the companies suggested, however, if you are arriving in Argostoli and leaving fro somewhere in the south (argostoli or airport), I would suggest hiring a car from that area as they are often cheaper and you will save a taxi fare of about 70 euros each way.

Enjoy the island

Bob

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

As said in previous threads, I havent seen a single 'local' bus in the past 5 years on holiday to Kefalonia. If anyone does spot on please take a photo and log the time and date and share for all to see!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

hey thank you guys for your posts. Will probably end up just getting used to the place for a couple of days then decide what to do, you just want to make the most of your time there, it is a first time on this island for me and just want to enjoy it all. Decided on Fiskardo after reading a lot of good points about it. I am sure we will love it.

Coventry
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Great sales pitch from 'retired hippy'!!!

We are looking forward to 2 wks in 'the north' because we do not want the mainstream that will be found in the south!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Yes the beaches in Fiscardo are not to every-ones taste. Personally they suit us perfect. Never found a dirty beach there, ever. For me my pet hates are rows of sun loungers all next to each other. We love to go off for the day with our own rugs,parasol, picnic, snorkelling gear, beautiful coves. For us nothing beats the sheer beauty of Foki beach and Emblissi beach. Being able to walk down to the harbour have a cocktail or two, amble the shops and then decide where to eat. But enough about Fiscardo and its beauty, don't want too many people spoiling my lovely quiet coves, which I will be sampling in about three days.

uk
Level Contributor
341 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

Visited Fiscardo in May and loved it ( only stayed for 2 nights but wished it was longer) hire a little motor boat, pack a picnic, they supply you with a cool box and motor along the coast until you find your own little bay.

9. Re: fiskardo - local bus service ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Fiscardo
Recent Conversations