We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Peterborough
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Just want to throw out there ... I have travelled to many places in Cuba (and also around the world), and one of the things I appreciate from Tripadvisor reviews and forums is getting to hear stories from people who have already travelled where I plan on going. Because my expectations are geared to where I am travelling, the political climate, the cost (to me - price does sometimes determine the star quality you should expect) and many other things (people, location etc) ... I really appreciate the reviews of people who understand where they are, some of the history (that certainly governs much of the experience) and are able to get past some obstacles that may get in their way. My husband and I have (as I said) travelled many times to many places in Cuba over the years - sometimes by ourselves, sometimes with friends. Have we encountered problems - you bet - were they handled by staff at the resorts we were at - you bet - sometimes not quite the way we envisioned, but in the end we were happy. Which I must say, EVERY SINGLE TIME WE HAVE BEEN TO CUBA, WE HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO THE EXTREME! Thanks to all of the Cuban people for at times putting up with unreasonable expectations of the people you are welcoming into your country - your country fills my heart and soul!

toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

My thoughts exactly if you want the same as home stay there, I went to Cuba the first time with many reservations due to reviews and the political situation but can say I wish I had gone long before the food might not be as good as Mexico but its better than the Dominican and Ive never lost wieght or gotten sick

The people are fantasti c we are going to the Brisas Covarrubias for the first time are ignoring the negative reviews as not getting a welcome drink would not ruin my holiday

PEI, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

I agree with both comments. My wife and I travel a bit as well, and we are coming to view Cuba as one of our favorite spots to kick back and relax. It may not be perfection, but it and its people are wonderful for us. I guess one advantage to the negative and whiny reviews is that if people are superficial enough to look no further than the review, then the resort will one less complainer to worry about going and ruining it for others!

5 weeks today, heading back to Cuba.. can't wait!

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

1st trip in 1988... never looked at another destination. we've been all over the carribean and north america.... as for some interesting times, well, we've opened a number of resorts over the years and it's been a hoot. our only concern is when cubanacan and the ministry makes disastrous management changes especially to our favourite resorts. lately we've been averaging 3 trips a year to 3 stars 'cause that's the kind of people we are! lol! carol e.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Ditto!

And cheers to all who feel the same way....

:)

Stewiacke, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Well said. Thank you.

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Here's a tip. If the review starts off with "There was no welcome drink..." or "It took us 20 minutes to check in because of all the people in front of us..." just skip to the next review immediately.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

I always look at the majority of reviews. I have friends who have twice gone to resorts I have loved and came back with complaints. Cuba is a great vacation destination and its the Cuban people who make the experience. I have many friends in Cuba and I go back for the sun beautiful beaches and their friendships.

Toronto
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

What I have found was people visit cuba pay a small some of money and have unreasonable expectations.

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

Geographer2... : - )))))

Bromont, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions of travellers are great ... but

I wonder how many people look for a sun destination and book Cuba because of the low price, but give no thought to where they are actually going. Cuba is not like other destinations due to it's political/economic situation and if they did thier homework they would know this and be much happier with thier trip.

As far as I'm concerned..... "Star" ratings are for the birds. Oranges bought in the supermarket in Canada do not taste like ones picked fresh from the tree in Florida, or Mexico....... they are still oranges, but they cannot be compared as equal.

Just my 2CUC.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Padre
Recent Conversations