We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Trinidad from resort

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Trinidad from resort

We are going to this resort in Jan for 2 weeks. I am excited! This is our first time at this resort (been to Cuba several times to others) and our first time going for 2 weeks. Since we have more time I was hoping to go to Trinidad and maybe even stay a night there in a small place. Is this doable? Can we hire a driver or someone to help us arrange this mini excursion? How far is Trinidad? Are we allowed by the Cuban govt to make a small trip like that away from our resort? Part of the reason we booked two weeks was to do this and then I thought after we might not even be allowed. Ideas?

Esther

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

First of all I don't know where you got the impression that Cuba is a prison for tourists but that is entirely false. You can travel wherever you choose throughout the country, whenever you wish.

That said, Trinidad is an 800+ km round trip from Puerto Padre so the logistics and cost is daunting and a day trip is obviously impossible.

Cheers,

Terry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Unless you are desperate to visit Trinidad, consider a trip (or trips) to places nearer your hotel.

Different Cuban cities have different appeals. Las Tunas could be interesting because it is not on the standard tourist trail.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 18:53
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Beardo's suggestion of Las Tunas makes perfect sense. It's a great town with minimal tourists and it's only 50 km from the town of Puerto Padre.

Which resort/hotel are you staying at?

Cheers,

Terry

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

We are staying at Brisas Covarrubias (sp). Yes, I do really want to go to Trinidad, that's partly why we booked the 2 weeks, so we could fit a few extra days in the middle to go there, spend the night (or 2) and then go back to the resort. I asked because I almost got turned away in Jamaica when I said I was going to leave the resort temporarily to visit friends when checking in at the airport. I seriously had to provide names, addresses, and then they held me for several hours. Better safe than sorry! We are not put off by a lengthy drive, just was wondering about the options to make it happen. I am excited.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. I will be looking those up, too. Thanks!

Esther

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

As soon as you arrive at your resort put the word out that you want to go to Trinidad for a one or two night stay... who knows what deal someone might offer to drive you there and back... don't expect it to be simple, easy or inexpensive... it's a LONG trip...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

You'll definitely have to stay in Trinidad for at least TWO nights if you are coming all the way from Puerto Padre or else you'll only be there for supper, sleep, breakfast and spend much of the rest of the time on the road.

There are closer similar-sized interesting towns to where you will be such as; Gibara, Las Tunas (already mentioned) and Bayamo that are worth a stay-over that you could read up on.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 04:31
Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Terry...800km there and 800km back, or 800 there and back?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Google maps reckons 417 kms, 5½ hours. But remember much of the route is difficult passing other vehicles - so you can easily get held up behind slow moving lorries or farm vehicles.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Esther, I said 800+ km round trip, that means there and back.

Unless budget is no issue and you don't mind at least 3 days away from the resort you really should consider all the other options that are much, much closer. Trinidad is lovely and it's one of my favourite places, but in my opinion it is not worth an 800+ km trip for such a short/fast visit... it deserves more time...

Cheers,

Terry

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Trinidad from resort

Esther, I would save Trinidad for another trip entirely so you could spend your whole holiday there. Yes, consider other options like ones I mentioned in post #6.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Padre
Recent Conversations