We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Which Lutry hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Hi,

My wife and I will be in Lutry tomorrow for a day and half. wondering if anyone has any last minute advice/suggestions on things to do. so far we're thinking of:

-Chillon Castle via ferry

-wineries

-open to hiking/biking options

Also, we are staying at le rivage, and wondering where to take the ferries from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

14 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Hi robotduck,

Lucky you! I love Lutry though I have never stayed overnight there. I think you'll have an amazing time.

You can take the ferry to Chillon at 12.03, and it will arrive at Chillon at 13.30 -- schedules are at

www.cgn.ch

The ferry dock isn't hard to find, just walk along the small lakefront area, and it'll be obvious. Alternately, you could do a quick look at google maps to spot it.

If you want to see a wine cave, here is the address for one in Lutry:

Caveau des vignerons de Lutry

Open all year Tuesday-Saturday, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. (July + August, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.) + Saturday 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Or on advance booking for groups of 20 persons and more.

Grand-Rue 23

1095 Lutry

Mobile +41 (0)78 661 26 25

If you want to walk in the vineyards, you can take the train to Epesses and walk to Lutry (or the reverse), which takes about 1h30.

You might also want to spend time in Vevey, which is a lot different from Montreux. I love Vevey's old town, with so many tangled, winding streets, you can get lost for hours.

So, ok, if I only had one day in Lutry, I might try something like this:

Walk from Lutry to Epesses or to Chexbres (a further 40 minutes or so). Take the train from Epesses/Chexbres to Vevey (comes once an hour), explore the old town, have lunch. Take the train or the bus (#201, comes along every 10 minutes) to Chillon castle, enjoy the castle. Take the ferry at 16.46 back to Lutry, with a change at Montreux.

Naturally, you can arrange all those elements in any way you want. Just check the ferry/train schedules. The ferry doesn't stop in Epesses, but it does in nearbyCully, if you want to factor that in.

Hope this helps your planning!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Lovely hiking in the local mountains if you're interested. Let me know what sort of length timewise you might like.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

wow. thank you so much for your information. I am sitting in Lutry at the moment for dinner besides the lake. it is indeed heavenly. wifey doesnt want to leave this place.

your suggestions will be of great help. can't wait. so excited.

thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

s

thanks for your response. would be interested in a hike of we can fit it in. was thinking of doing a hike which can walk us into some of the wineries. we can then take the ferry for the test of our explorations.

thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Sorry I think my replies can be confusing. On re-reading swandav's response, I think that covers the hike that we want to do.

No need to post additional info westlondoner. We only have tomorrow in lutry. :(

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Yes, Lutry is one of my favorite spots -- love it there!

Let us know how the day went after you get home!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Have a lovely time for the rest of your trip. It's a truly beautiful part of the world.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Swandav,

I'd like to thank you for the information you provided. your suggestion for one day was spot on. we did walk from our hotel in lutry towards the vineyards. of course we didn't just want to walk by the vineyards so we decided to hike up and down the mountains. after a little over two hours of an amazing hike, we realized we were still some distance off from epesses and would miss our train. luckily we were near enough to cully and took the train from there to vevey. vevey was beautiful, lunch by the lake was great. took the boat from there to chillon and took the 16:46 back to lutry. it was an amazing experience and a wonderful day. a bit tired and ready for dinner.

thanks again for the info.

off to zermatt for a day tomorrow and leaving the next day for wengen.

I am going to be greedy and ask for more advice for that region if you have.

thanks again

robot duck

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

thanks for the wishes west Londoner. we had a great time. see my response to Swandav. it is truly spectacular. would love to stay in this region for much longer at some point in life.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, that's one of the (good) problems with walking in the vineyards -- you end up running all up & down. I've tried to bike the vineyard trails a few times, but it just gets so exhausting!

I'm glad you enjoyed the day! The ferry rides are really hard to beat.

Sorry, I don't know Zermatt well. Maybe post a new thread to catch the attention of the Zermatt experts.

Have lots more fun!!

s

Reply to: Need help with itinerary for 1.5 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lutry