We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaton

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Seaton

What is Seaton like as a place to stay for the week ? I have had negative reports about it?

24 replies to this topic
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seaton

Has Seaton changed? Last time I was there, the so called beach was probably the worst in the whole of Devon. I agree the tramway's great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seaton

Seaton hasn't changed much except for one thing. It now has a lovely Tesco supermarket which has enhanced the town by quite a bit.

Just goes to show how bad it must have been for Tesco to improve a town by building a supermarket.

Best thing in Seaton is the tramway - heading out of town!

In all seriousness, the beach is quite nice and the views from Axe Cliff golf course are lovely but the town itself is still as bad as ever.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seaton

yes tesco despite my own hatred of them is the one thing that may save seaton..lol

parts of seaton are really pretty just shame about the town centre...yuk

been like that for 30 years or more sadly...

the west end and the axmouth end of the bay are lovely.

nice walk over to Beer or longer to Lyme Regis.

however in seaton there are 2 nice b and b's there pebbles and holmleigh both opp the gardens and its a good place to base yourself at.

buses are good from there if you have no car.

places to eat in seaton are non-existent imho so Beer is the closest option.

england
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seaton

I think you need to recognise that most of these posts are written by people promoting their own patch in a rather biased fashion.

Seaton is an inexpensive place to stay with reasonable transport links along the coast. There are good value places to eat and quite a lot of them at lunchtime, fewer in the evenings. The beach is largely pebble, as are many of East Devon's beaches. Tesco is an eyesore rather than a benefit but there are a few shops to wander around and the Tramway. Decent coastal walks if you are fit, the longest flat seafront in East Devon if you aren't and a small but interesting nature reserve. A good base for those without a car or who need flat walks but if you were heading for Devon unlikely to be the first place you'd think of staying.

Axmouth has nothing much to recommend it, Beer or Branscombe are pretty but the roads are narrow and terrible if you meet the bus. There are few shops in Beer and one, I think, in Branscombe. Sidmouth has terrible parking and is over-priced. Lyme Regis is far prettier and has sand as well as pebbles but again is more expensive.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seaton

No Buzzard, most posts are written by people who live in this beautiful part of England (East Devon), appreciate its beauty, and know the area well. And most of us wish that Seaton wasn't such a blot on the landscape!

We can spend a long time analysing why it is as it is (having been dominated by a holiday 'camp' that wasn't invested in for the last 20 years of its existence is certainly one reason), but that doesn't make it any prettier....

Also not quite sure why Sidmouth has 'terrible parking' (even during uber-busy Folk Week we always find a space quite easily), and why 'narrow lanes' should deter people from Beer or Branscombe (if you want wide lanes, why come to Devon?).

In short, everyone is entitled to their views, but I find yours rather bizarre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seaton

darlings come one...lets not descend into a bun fight over poor ol seaton lol,

the OP wants a week in seaton and has asked the question is it as bad as it sounds,

well its not that bad unless you want loads of nice restaurants and cute shops (pretty much a poor show on both i am afraid)

it does have a good bus connections and is quite pretty in many parts.

there are a couple of decent bed and breakfasts to stay at as mentioned,

and the bus stop is just down the road.

beer and branscombe are lovely but sorry there are no dual carriageways

as the map clearly shows so small devon country lanes it is lol

again they are served by buses so arm yourself with a timetable book from the local council and leave the car behind.

sidmouth has lots of charm and again is well served by bus and parking is not normally an issue unless in height of the summer hols and folk week.

has a very nice prom.

the whole area has plenty to offer including Lyme Regis going east.

parking has improved there with 2 park and rides at each end of the town.

and yes i agree buzzard's was a bit of a weird reply

as we know ''our patch'' to speak of then thats what we will offer as helpful

chat...

personally it is Beer for me as there are decent places to eat on your doorstep

the bus has reasonable connections from there and its very cute...

i have stayed at both the b and b's i mentioned in seaton (very nice) and for dinner walked over to beer and took the bus back, easy.

nice places to stay at beer are bay view beer guest house opp the slipway.

durham house, bank house colebrooke house

there is a nice caravan site too and plenty of holiday cottages and a YHA

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seaton

Actually, the real answer for the OP - if he's got ten minutes to spare - is to use google street view and take a look around Seaton before he goes there.

Yes, there are some very pretty places around but Seaton itself really ain't as bad as people are painting it.

Mind you, I suspect most of this thread is irrelevant as it started in August and the OP hasn't put in a recent appearance.......

Edited: 07 November 2012, 08:56
Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seaton

I should have said August 2011!

Seaton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Seaton

The scenery in Axmouth is no where near as good. Seaton is a lovely natural town

england
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Seaton

the OP never bothered to return and I didn't notice the replies. Nothing wierd about my comments at all - just balancing the rather biased and bigoted views being expressed by others. Narrow lanes are not great if you are looking for a base to tour an area. Beer and Branscombe have a very limited bus service, leave the car home and you can have a nice relaxing time on the beaches but you'll not see much of the surrounding area. There are lots of place to eat in Seaton - pubs, cafes, indian, chinese, Rog747 must walk around with their eyes shut or not have visited in years. It's not fine dining but you don't find that in Beer either. When we've visited Sidmouth we've had trouble finding parking and it's one of the few places in the West Country I have no desire to revisit. Really don't understand the hostility displayed by those elsewhere in East Devon but the suggestion to use google street view was a good one.

Reply to: Seaton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seaton
More Seaton Topics