We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilsons Abel Tasman

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Wilsons Abel Tasman

Has anybody used this organisation for an ATNP trip covering guiding and accommodation? Trip reports, recommendations, dish the dirt, please!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

No dirt, but just an FYI that it's really easy to explore Abel Tasman on your own...water taxis are easy to organize, the trail is impossible to miss, no need for a guide, unless you just want one, etc. The I-site in Motueka is really helpful too.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

Thanks for comments, Mel

I'm aware you can do your own thing by using the water taxis, and that's probably what we will do. Hoever, apart from the DOC huts, they offer just about the only accommodation within the ATNP. We're too old to tolerate the huts, and you can only stay in their lodges if you take their whole package, it seems, so I just wondered if anybody had used them for a tour and was wiling to share their experience of this.

SWT

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

I see what you're saying...if you're planning to walk the entire track and don't want to stay in huts or camp, Wilson's does seem to be the way to go.

The only non-hut, non-campsite accommodation that I'm aware of within Abel Tasman is Awaroa Lodge. There's an assortment of accomodation at either end of the track too.

http://www.awaroalodge.co.nz/

Good luck with your plans.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

I swung past the Awaroa Lodge just a fortnight ago and it was shut - as the web site confirms. Shut and deserted, Marie Celeste-style.

You could do the Abel Tasman in stages - water taxi in and out every day - expensive though I would guess.

We only did one stage, just a taster. Water taxi in in the morning and out again late afternoon but it was well worth it. Brilliant scenery, the weather was cool but bright. We walked on deserted beaches, through jungle and along high paths looking down on the clear sea. The birds were calling to each other and a fantail tracked us for ages; either used to being fed by tourists or just making sure we left his territory. Nothing too strenuous but a great walk.

Don't miss it just because of the accommodation problem.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 12:55
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

The Awaroa Lodge is just closed for the season...until Sept 25. When are you going SussexWorldtraveller?

Motueka
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

For more explanation of accommodation in the National Park, see the Trip Advisor review for Meadowbank Homestead: Meadowbank Homestead - location, location, location. It helps explain some of the logisitics of staying within the park boundaries.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

Mel - I shall be in NZ Feb/Mar 2011, and in the Abel Tasman area end Feb. And, Awaroa Lodge is way beyond my budget!

I guess as nobody has come on here who's used Wilsons, I've a feeling that they're more likely to be used by the tour companies and less so by independent travellers.

As I said, I'm trying to do a totally independent trip, but, as I'm reluctant to stay in the DOC huts, and don't think you can use Wilson's places (Torrent Bay and Meadowbank) without the rest of their package, I shall revert to my original plan before I discovered there was any accommodation within the Park, ie. to stay in a motel at one or the other ends and use water taxis to get around. Sadly, while everybody says the North entrance to the park will be way less crowded, the greater choice of motels, which also happen to be nearer to the park entrance, is in the South at Marahau area.

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

HLH - Are you involved with Wilson's in any capacity?

SWT

Motueka
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

Yes, I've been a Guide with them for 7 years and also take care of their social media. I've been a Guide (including Milford and Hollyford tracks) and ski instructor for over 20 years, so realise it can be confusing to understand what is simple and what is complicated about staying overnight in our National Parks.

10. Re: Wilsons Abel Tasman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...