We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

Hi All,

Four of us are heading to NZ this year, and plan to be hiking part of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track in late November 2012. We are all in good shape so endurance should not be an issue. Currently we are considering taking a water taxi to Bark Bay and following the track back to Marahau. Has anyone done this before and know approximately how long it takes? I've read between 5-6, but many of the water taxi sites say 8 hours. We want to see as much of the park as possible given one day. Any other recommendations are welcome too. Looking forward to responses, and thanks for your input!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,053 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

There are two explanations:

#1 There is a "low tide short cut" that takes an hour off the time;

#2 The water taxi operators have to cover their "a***s" to allow for slow walkers/photographers etc. They want you to BE THERE.

The best resource is the DoC site which give 7 & 8 hours:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

Thanks for your comment! Have you hiked this section before? Is there a different section that is more highly recomended? Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

We really enjoyed the section between Tonga Bay and Torrent Bay - we took a water taxi to Tonga and had a pick-up arranged at Torrent. It took us just under four hours, 7.25 miles. We had about 40 minutes to spare before the water taxi pick-up.

But my all time favorite section on the track is walking from Totaranui towards Whariwharangi Hut. Totaranui is the final stop on the Abel Tasman track for boat and bus service, and many walkers stop there, yet the track continues on around the headland to Whariwharangi and Wainui.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

I'm a little late to the party, but my gf and I did Bark Bay-Coquille Bay in about 4 hours, with a 20 min stop for lunch and a lot of quick stops for photos. When moving we were pretty agressive, running a lot of the downhills and flats in the first 6 miles so we knew we wouldn't have an issue with time. I think with normal "fast-hiking" its easily done in 4-5 hours. My advice: pack very light!

More detailed post and pics here: http://www.twotraveling.com/?p=189

5. Re: Abel Tasman - Bark Bay to Marahau - Hike time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...